New Member Area
New to Saab Forums.com? Stop in tell us about you.

First Saab...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:30 PM

Default First Saab...

Hi all, I just purchased my first SAAB in March of '08. Here is my story.

I'm the proud owner of a 2000 Mitsubishi Mirage which has brought me 65,000 trouble free miles (knock on wood!!)! But I wanted a second car, something with a bit more luxury to it and looked a lot sweeter. I was looking at more expensive used models like Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, but everything was overpriced and junk. The used car market is terrible!!

So the first car I really enjoyed was a 2001 Volvo S60. But the owner wanted way too much for it and it would have needed at least $1000 in body work due to them hitting a guard rail. I knew they would not budge on the price. So my quest for another S60 began and let me tell you there really are not many that were in my price range in the area.

So it was a nice day out and I went driving past a local SAAB dealership and decided to give them a try. I had never heard anything horrible about SAAB, they are not too expensive and they are swedish... like the lovely Volvo, how could I go wrong? I couldn't.

I spotted a silver '00 9-5 Aero in my price range and asked a bit about it. Adult driven, all service records and mint inside and out. I gave it a drive and fell in love with it. I loved everything about it, it just felt right. So I took the plunge and bought it right then and there. I couldn't go wrong, or could I?

I was warned about turbos and to stay away but the car had been kept in such good shape I was not worried about. The first thing to go was the SID display they fixed before I picked up. I didn't bother to bring it back because only a pixel here and there go, it's not really too bothersome, yet!

My next minor headache was the parking light went out, but not just the parking light but the part the parking light plugs into? yeah, well SAAB doesn't make those so you have to get one off of another 9-5... quick fix and a $5 part from the dealership out of their warehouse of used parts so that was ok.

Then... oh man this is a good one, I got the dreaded ABS module warning. Ya know, the one where the speedo goes dead and all the TCS and brake warning lights come on? Yup... $450 for the shop to repair it or I can do it myself. I'm going with the DIY option and maybe have a little fun under the hood of SAAB.

What can I say, I drove the car a total of 2800 miles and have already had a few headaches and annoyances but all and all I love the car. I don't know if it's the power, style and luxury or if its the uniqueness of owning a car you don't see every day on the road. I don't know if I could afford to maintain her as a daily driver, that's why they make cars like Honda and Mitsubishi for people like me, but I'll be damned if I would trade her in for any of her competitors!
Old 05-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: First Saab...

I promise you that once the car is sorted out you will not want to let it go. I don't know how much you paid for it, I sure hope not too much, but I know I would enjoy a 9-5 Aero... my 9-3 is a bit of a tight fit... These are GREAT DIY cars...pick up a WIS manual on ebay and you'll be all set.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:14 AM

Default RE: First Saab...

For the work it needs I paid too much for it. But whenever you buy used its a crap shoot. The car was well maintained and cared which is obvious. You live and learn. I'll look into getting a WIS manual!