Key not accepted

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 12:23 PM

Default Key not accepted

2004 SAAB 9-3 Linear

I was doing work to the car. I had it on jackstands for 3 days and the battery was removed (car was lockeD).

I basically changed the inner and outer tie rod anyway thats not the problem.

I then placed the battery back and alarm sounded. I clicked the unlock button and it stopped and unlocked the door.

Now I go in the car it wont turn the key nothing displayed.

I go back out and remove the battery terminals and reput them. I get back in the car and it says "key not accepted".

I tried doing the following as I read in the forums.

I put the key fob in the ignition and click the unlock button 4-5 times nothing happens. I cant turn it off the unlock position.

I get out of the car and try it and nothing happens.

I tried pressing any button on the remote and the only one that does anything is the panic button. But when it beeps and alarm goes off because I clicked the panic button I can press any other button on the remote and it will stop.

One thing I noticed.

The steering wheel is not locked and i cant turn the remote in the ignition at all.

Someone help!.

I took the battery for testing and they said its fine.

I tried putting the key in ignition and pressing the unlock 5 times. nothing happens.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:07 PM

So I was in pretty much the same boat for the past five days but when I saw your post...I decided to try what I could before replying...and some how I got the key to turn and my car started.

Heres what I did...and I dont know which part worked or if I just got lucky.

I disconnected my negative terminal...and checked all my fuses. I had to pull all the ones on my driver side to see them...and number 11 had a 15 amp instead of a 10...so i switched it.

after i checked all the fuses...I pumped my brake 5-6 times...because I heard that does something good to the computer.

I reconected the negative terminal. Got in closed the door and put the key in. I tried to turn it...it didnt work.

I turned the steering wheel back and forth...I pressed the lock, and unlock, panic buttons separatly on the key while in the igniton...didnt work...

Then heres the part that I think did it...I grabbed the shifter...which is currently in park and put presure down and forward on it to get the kinda click you would get from a torqe wrench. Then I tried the key (can remeber if I jiggled it a little or if it turned right away.) and the car turned on.

Lol, so try it out. Let me know if it works and I hope my car works tomorrow for work