My 9-3 SE + winter = terror!!! What tires should I buy!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:58 PM

Default My 9-3 SE + winter = terror!!! What tires should I buy!?

OK all,

This may be an old thread (i searched but failed miserably) or maybe I am the only one suffering here, but should a 2001 9-3 SE automatic with Winter Mode button be as downright sh**ty in even the slightest of slippery winter conditions as mine is?
I mean, if there's snow, the slightest slightest incline results in tire spin, no traction, no forward motion and "IM STUCK", it slides all over the place even on flat roads if there's ANY snow at all, and FORGET about stopping, even with the ABS having conniptions this thing slides sideways and loses control even at 10 miles an hour. My wife will not even drive it in weather.

This is particularly frustrating as my Passat (2003 automatic, 1.8 turbo with "ESP") RULES in snow rain and slush, it is actually FUN to drive; it gets a little loose you snap it back into place, it climbs, handles, gets very acceptable traction etc whereas my 9-3 is downright scary, only vaguely in control - a nightmare.

I can only attribute this to tires. My SAAB came to us used with a set of Pirelli P-Zero Neros. They probably need to be replaced anyway, but good lord these tire suck. (or the car just sucks but I really want to blame the tires.)

So, keeping sanity and frugality in mind - this car goes less than 8000 miles a year and is for around-towning....WHAT TIRES????

Please do not recommend two sets of wheels and tires - or tires that are $150 apiece, that aint gonna happen, whose got good, reasonably priced all seasons they are happy with?

Anybody try Pirelli P4s? I've read some good stuff about them....

Thanks in advance!