Power antenna mast replacement:))

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Default Power antenna mast replacement:))

Now this is such a common thing to happen to a 9-3 it isn't even funny. You listen to your radio and you drive through a carwash (or anything else) and your gorgeous power antenna is broken. DON'T PANIC (and don't replace it with a non-power antenna that just looks stupid and doesn't fit). It's a really easy and cheapfix.

1).purchase a new power antenna mast http://www.eeuroparts.com/productdet...&code=5199this one is for a 1999 9-3, but I'm sure you can find one for your car there too.

2). pull the carpet in the trunkoff to the side to expose the power antennna motor.

3). Undo the connectors at the motor. There's a power connector and an antenna connector. With them off undo the bolts that hold the motor to the chassis of your car.

4). undo the nut on the outside (that black colored nut that the antenna comes out of). Using a thinck plastic bag or a piece of linnenhere prevents scratching the nut.

5). Pull the motor out of the car. Make sure the drain hose doesn't detach from the motor.

6). You will see an aluminum tube which houses the mast, it's held in place by (2?) set scerws. Undo those and slide the tube off. Now this is where there could be two options. If the nylon cord broke you will have to take the motor apart and take the remaining cord out (REALLY easy). If the cord isn't broken you can most likely pull it out of the motor.

7) now that the remains of the old mnast are gone do this: Feed the new mast's cord into the tube and the opening on the motor, secure the tube in place with the set screws, attach the two connectors and (a second person helping you is very good here) you have to turn the ignition on and the radio on (the motor wil hum trying to push out the antenna) and than turn the radio off and hopefully the new cord get's caught by the motor and the new mast is fed in.

8) Install thje motor back on the car making sure that the drainhose IS attached to the correct plug on the floor of the car. Put the outside nut back in place. Put the carpet back and enjoy your newly renewed antenna.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:33 AM

Default Mast won't come out so I can insert the new antenna

I have no problem with removing the bolt and the cover, but after I do, the mast won't come out. I saw a video that showed it coming out easily. So I can only assume there is something holding it in. I will open the side to expose the motor and see what is holding the remainder of the mast in. It should pull out, but I don't want to force it. Nothing is technically broken, but the mast is messed up so much it won't retract or expand correctly. All I want to do is remove the old mast as easily as possible.

After I get the mast out I know how to feed the new one in and the nylon track that feeds into the motor. But for now, I am figuring something is holding the bottom of the mast in the motor shaft containing the bottom of the mast and the nylon connection.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:00 PM

Default Ugh.

So...after about 5 years of having an antenna that wouldn't go up, I finally replaced it following the instructions here. The antenna works fine now, and I get great reception from the radio, but now the car won't start. So, what the hell did I do???

Also, when I turn the car on, the radio goes off. When I turn the car off, it turns on. All this and the engine won't start now.

I removed the negative connection from the battery for a few minutes. As soon as I put it back on, the radio started up, even though the key was in my pocket and not in the ignition.

Any ideas?
Old 05-29-2014, 10:01 PM

LRPharm54 - I found there were two screws holding in the mast. Once I removed both, it came out easily.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:59 PM

Was able to fix my problem by charging the battery. Not sure if something happened during installation that caused a problem, but it's all working fine now. Nice to have clear radio reception again, too!
Old 05-29-2015, 02:12 PM
CJM

LRPharm54 -I have the same problem on my 2002 Saab 9-3. After seeing all of the same youtube vids that look easy I bought a replacement antenna but can't get the old one out. I can remove the black retaining nut but the mast has a sleeve on the bottom that has to slide up over the top of the antenna. From the new one it looks like this sleeve clips into place, and the antenna can't be pulled out without unhooking that part. I really didn't want to have to remove the motor but there's probably no other way. Those damn youtube vids are misleading and make it look easy to pull out after removing the outer nut!!
Old 10-24-2015, 09:22 AM

Post 2002 Saab 9-3 SE antenna Replacement

do not watch any of the videos you see on youtube regarding this issue. They are all wrong and will cause you to go insane! here is what i have done to fix the antenna on my car. It is easy to do now after a few trial and errors....

1)remove the nut at the base of the antenna
2)remove the felt lining on the left side of the trunk where the antenna is
3)you will see the motor and the mast and a couple screws and 2 hex nuts
4)remove the 2 small screws..one holding the black wire and the other on the opposite side....
5)remove the mast...twist it out of the black sheath..
6)remove the 2 hex nuts that attach the motor assembly to your car frame...
7)remove the (2 prong) plug attached to the base where the hex nuts are removed from...
8)slide everything downwards to remove the old antenna...make sure your current antenna is withdrawn so you dont break it or get it hung up....
9)MAKE SURE THE POWER ATTACHED TO THE UPPER PART OF THE MAST IS UNPLUGGED(BLACK WIRE TOWARDS THE TOP INSIDE OF THE ANTENNA)
10)push the old antenna out from the bottom of the mast
11)feed the new one through the bottom and try and connect power again...remember the s small screws you took off with the mast attached...reattach everything to get power back...fyi

from here you need to play around with it and try to feed it through and get the motor to bite onto the new cord.....good luck...

if an old cord is still inside the motor you will need to take the motor apart. its simple! there is a small screw on the outside cover...take that off and use a screw driver to carefully pry it open just enough to use tweezers or needle nose pliers to pull out the old cord...then snap back shut and screw it back together....

If you need clarification or more detailed instruction please reach out to me. Im here to help!!