Help with clutch adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 12:59 PM

Default Help with clutch adjustment

I need help adjusting the clutch line on a 96 900s. I did a search but nothing came up. My problem is that the clutch will not engage. Clutch is supposedly brand new. If the car is put into gearand the clutch is released, it will not grab.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Help with clutch adjustment

Did you buy the car like that? Was it put in by a professional mechanic? Does the clutch pedal go all the way to the floor or does it seem to stop before the floor?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:03 PM

Yep, the car was purchased this way. It needs a few things here and there but the clutch was supposedly put in by a professional shop. Theres about one inch of free play at the top position when the pedal is being pushed in. There is resistance in the pedal as there should be and you can push it all the way to the floor. The problem we're having is that when the car is put into gear and the pedal is released, it doesn't engage and the axles don't spin.

We were told that the clutch line needs to be adjusted and I did find somewhat of a writeup online, but its rather vague.

http://www.thesaabsite.com/Saab-900-...adjustment.htm
Old 02-11-2009, 02:14 PM

Btw, I did a search on 900s clutch cables and it looks like the OEM cable has no lock nut to adjust the cable?

Whereas an aftermarket cable has the white plastic piece with a locknut in the center for adjustment.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

look around where the driver's side tie rod is and you should be able to see the clutch cable.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:07 PM

We took the d/s wheel off and raised the car. I can trace the clutch cable from the fire wall all the way to the front of the car but my issue is that I don't know how to go about actually adjusting the cable. I know the aftermarket cables have the lock nut in the center but how can I adjust the stock cable?

Thanks for the help
Old 02-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

I'll try to get my hands on a 900 this weekend so I can help you with this.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:37 AM

Thanks Roto, I appreciate all your help
Old 02-21-2009, 03:46 PM

Ok, just want to post a little update-

We decided to toss the stock clutch cable in favor of a new adjustable cable. We installed it and yet still the tranny wouldn't engage in gear. So we got the Saab in the air and removed the access plate on the transmission to take a look at the clutch. Got a laugh at what we found inside- shreds of clutch fiber all over the inside of the transmission. The previous owner could not drive a manual and it looks like he rode the clutch pretty bad. We ordered a new clutch kit and we're waiting for that to get here before we start to remove the tranny. We also got a few minuscule things repaired, like the leaking PS reservoir and broken window track.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry I was no help. I got stuck working on my own car.

Quick Reply: Help with clutch adjustment