LH 2.2 Fault Code(s) Diagnosis 1986 Saab 9000 Turbo

Old 08-19-2014, 01:12 PM

Default LH 2.2 Fault Code(s) Diagnosis 1986 Saab 9000 Turbo

I'm really frustrated with trying to determine my LH 2.2 fault code (s) on my 1986 Saab 9000 Turbo.

I have a nice System Overview by Kevin Yankton from Saabnet.com, but I think the "ECU Testing" section of the article applies more to LH 2.4 than to my LH 2.2.

Bottom line is that when I prepare to ground the test pin on my vehicle and switch the ignition to the "on" position, my "Check Engine" light goes out just like all the other warning lights after a few seconds. Grounding the test pin does nothing at this point; no flashes, the “Check Engine” does not come on again, nothing. The only way to get the light to come back on is to turn the engine on, at which point the "Check Engine" light comes on immediately and stays on.

If I quickly ground the test pin while the engine is running, I get an undesirable result (dash lights dim and RPM begins to drop). Definitely not doing that again!

There must be a different way to get the "Check Engine" light to flash and give me the codes with the ignition in the "on" position and engine not running. I just haven't found it yet.

I really someone can help me with pulling the fault codes in an LH 2.2 system.

Thanks!!
Old 06-27-2015, 09:35 PM

Default 86 Saab 9000 Turbo Check Engine Light Idea

Since my last post on this in August, 2014, I have been through 2 replacement ECU's. The same "Check Engine" light illuminates when I turn on the engine.

I've also noticed that the fuel pump does not cycle for a second or two when I turn the ignition to the "on" position before starting. Could it be that this is the engine fault causing the "Check Engine" light to illuminate???

If so, how do I get the fuel pump to cycle again before engine start? I'm guessing it has something to do with a fuel pump relay????

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Bill
Old 07-07-2015, 05:27 AM

I had a suggestion to "reset" the fuel pump relay by removing it for several hours.

So since I have an extra set of relays from a parts car, I swapped out 4 different relays in the Fuel Pump slot and the System Relay slot (both the same). None of the swaps helped me to "hear" the fuel pump start up for the usual 1-2 seconds when the ignition is turned to the "on" position before start-up. Also, they both got very hot during the several minutes the car ran for each test. We're talking 108-115 degrees F with an ambient temp of 85 degrees F. All the other relays stayed at 85 degrees. Hmmmmmm. And I have checked for voltage at the fuel pumps with ignition turned to “on,” no voltage. But immediate 12 volts when turned to “start.”
More history: Last July, August, I did change out most of the entire fuel system. New Feeder Fuel Pump, a fuel hose, new fuel filter, removed, cleaned and reinserted all the fuel injectors. So the car starts up easily and every time now. It's just that annoying CE light that I would like to clear before proceeding with the clutch replacement.
Oh, as if it couldn't get any worse, during the relay checks noted above, I listened to my cabin ventilation fan take its last breathe. Started making a noise, then slowed to a stop. Haven't started trouble shooting that yet, except to know that the fuse is ok...

Thanks for any help you or anyone can offer at this point.

Bill