Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   1994-1994 900 (https://saabforums.com/forum/1994-1994-900-30/)
-   -   Hello all.. first post, need help. (https://saabforums.com/forum/1994-1994-900-30/hello-all-first-post-need-help-1306/)

TurboIceBeast 11-12-2008 08:13 AM

Hello all.. first post, need help.

I have a 94 SE that sat for a year. It ran well beforethe the year hiadus. I have changed the oil, plugs, added dry gas and replaced the battery. When I attempt to start it, it will turn over quickly but will not start. I can smell fuel after attempts to start it.The car did have a severly discharged battery.Something is buzzing and drawing power behind the climate controll buttons.Did thedischarged battery affect the ECU? If I smell fuel does that mean that my fuel pump is working? Should I try a new DI cassette? And one more crazy one; the car is up on jack stands, will it start with the wheels off of the ground? Sorry for the lengthly post TIA.

Roto 11-12-2008 08:32 AM

RE: Hello all.. first post, need help.

it should start with wheels in the air...you have fuel, are you sure you're getting spark? Does it appear to catch and than die or just nothing?

TurboIceBeast 11-12-2008 08:39 AM

No nothing, It turns over but doesnt fire at all. After I release the key i still hear some spinning for about half of a second.Flywheel?

Roto 11-12-2008 10:16 AM

Interesting. After you release the key can you hear a buzzing noise from the ignition cassette about 5 seconds after you stop cranking?

TurboIceBeast 11-12-2008 10:40 AM

I haven't noticed, Ill have to listen for that. I found a local guy with a DI Cassette for 75 bucks Im going to pick it up and give it a try. I figure its good to have an extra anyway. Thanks for your help Roto.

Roto 11-12-2008 12:03 PM

keep us posted. an extra cassette is a good investment anyway

TurboIceBeast 11-12-2008 12:18 PM

Ill keep ya posted.

TurboIceBeast 11-19-2008 07:50 AM

Update, I tried new plugs and a DI cassete. No go. I think im going to try a new fuel filter next, it looks pretty bad.Can anyone tell me the correctplug gap for a 94 2.0 turbo. TIA.

Roto 11-19-2008 08:12 AM

I wouldn't go for the filter just yet, when you try to start the car are the plugs getting wet? Pull them and inspect. Also can you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the ignition on (not cranking, but key in the on position). There should be a humming noise from the back of the car

TurboIceBeast 11-19-2008 09:13 AM

Thanks, good idea. I do hear the pump priming (its very quiet though) and I smell fuel after attempts to start. Is the starter hard to pull out in this car? Do you know of any DIY links?