Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   General Auto Related Help Area (https://saabforums.com/forum/general-auto-related-help-area-8/)
-   -   2001 9-5 Cursed (https://saabforums.com/forum/general-auto-related-help-area-8/2001-9-5-cursed-2470/)

stratman3 12-01-2009 01:41 PM

2001 9-5 Cursed

I bought this car on Ebay and was told it had a bad starter, otherwise a good car. Well after getting it home and doing some diganostic I replaced the cassette or direct ignition. It stated right up with a loud tapping noise that goes away a little when the rpm go up. The power steering hand a busted hose wish leaked right away, fix it. Only to have another leak from a loose fitting, fix it. Finally drove it up and down the street, when I pulled into my driveway the tranny felt weak, not quite like slipping. Turned the car off for like 5min, when for another test drive and it was fine for the first 10min and went back to the same. Pulled back to my driveway pw steering howling again, another leak wish I'm still looking for. I paid 1900.00 and currently on a dispute with Ebay and paypal to at least get my 500 deposit back. Will it be worth to dive in and repair all the problems or just let it go. All sugestions welcome. Thanks

Saab Fahrer 12-03-2009 07:13 PM

Things like power steering lines are no big deal. What worries me is the ticking in the engine. These engines, when neglected, will sludge up and cause issues. Depending on what you find with the ticking noise could make or break the deal.

As for the transmission, the first thing to do would be check the fluid level.

stratman3 12-04-2009 09:00 AM

Cursed 9-5

The tranny fluid levels were low. I noticed there is no pan, is there a filter somewhere and can I just drain and refill? Also the ticking sounds more from the top, do you think is sludge not allowing lubrication and can I just use a engine flush? Or do I remove the cam valve cover and pour some flush that way? Thanks

Roto 12-04-2009 09:25 AM

The hydraulic lifters tick when there's low oil pressure. The very first advice I give to any new owner of these cars is to drop the oil pan and see if there's sludge. If there is - clean it well. It doesn't take much effort to do this and it's cheap insurance. Now I don't know whether you should give up on it or not not being able to see that car in person, but 1900 sounds like a decent price if the body and interior were good, and I hope you budgeted in repair like you always should in a used car. Kind of sounds like it was neglected though.

stratman3 12-04-2009 02:01 PM

Cursed 9-5

The exterior and interior are in great shape. So dropping the pan and cleaning the sludge will hopefully get oil pressure up. Thanks for all the great advice. I did not budget for repairs being that I was told it was the starter but I should have known better. What about the tranny is there a filter somewhere? Thanks

Roto 12-04-2009 02:58 PM

I'll be honest with you, 1900 is waaay to little to pay for a car that only has a starter issue. I'm going to bet that the seller was aware of the car's problems, but even than you got a good deal... sure, you should have budgeted repairs. It's always like this with used cars, budget at least a thousand for repairs and take that into consideration when buying a used car.

Saab Fahrer 12-04-2009 06:34 PM

No replaceable filter in these, without removal and teardown of the transmission. Drain and refill is all you can do in the car.