Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   General Auto Related Help Area (https://saabforums.com/forum/general-auto-related-help-area-8/)
-   -   Importance Of Gas Type (https://saabforums.com/forum/general-auto-related-help-area-8/importance-gas-type-1154/)

Mr. Ninja 08-23-2008 10:11 PM

Importance Of Gas Type

I am looking at some Saabs and I found one I really liked and then learned that you are supposed to use premium gas for it. I read that the premium gas is recommended for it inside the gas tank cover. Well, because of the rise in gas prices, the premium gas is around 20 cents more than unleaded. How much will the performance of the car be affected by putting in unleaded gas, or even mid grade gas instead of the premium? It still says that the minimum youcan put in is unleaded, but premium is recommended.

I might still get it either way because they are offering a great price and it is in phenomenal condition for how many miles are on it.

-> 2001 9-5 SE V6 Turbo <-

So in the end, can I use unleaded gas for this car?

Roto 08-23-2008 10:39 PM

RE: Importance Of Gas Type

Yes you can, but you will see a difference between regular and premium. I personally try to avoid anything less than 93 octane, but hey, I don't look at gas prices the same way most people do.

cp_kirkley 08-25-2008 11:34 PM

I've been going in between 91-93. My area, its about 50 bucks to fill from empty. But when I'm getting 425 miles out of the tank before the light comes on, I don't mind so much:D.

jay900se 08-26-2008 01:40 PM

you are lucky its about £1.14 for unleded and £1.28 for super unleadeda litre over here cost me £75 to fill my 900 turbo from empty thts enough to make you cry

Roto 08-26-2008 02:03 PM

ouch....well don't feel bad, I keep getting 12 mpg out of my car, I know what the problem is, but I'm too damn lazy to fix it...

cp_kirkley 08-28-2008 04:00 PM

lol, jeez roto.. With that mileage you could swap for a V12 Lambo and not feel the diffence at the pump!:D

Roto 08-28-2008 04:04 PM

eh...I'm not one to really give a damn about gas milage... plus it'll be fixed before the end of the year...right after my nice vacation overseas that is.

zipper 10-04-2008 01:36 PM

I have been experimenting with this in my 95 SE wagon and have found that the extra $ I spend on filling up with with 93 compared to 87 costs about $3 more total but I get about 40 - 50 miles more per tank. At 3.50 a gal 20 - 25 mpg its is monetarily worth it to use the higher octane. But most importantly when I pull up next to some kid in a Civic with a wing and a 6 inch dia. tail pipe and dust him in a wagon I'd pay an extra $1 a gallon.

presto123 10-08-2008 08:07 AM

At least with mine, the engine levels out the firing with lower grade fuel. I don't remember where I read that, but I think it's a cool feature.