Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   General Auto Related Help Area (https://saabforums.com/forum/general-auto-related-help-area-8/)
-   -   my 9k is having serios issues (https://saabforums.com/forum/general-auto-related-help-area-8/my-9k-having-serios-issues-1487/)

959kaero 01-30-2009 10:52 PM

my 9k is having serios issues

:(hi guys/gals heres the story can is vibrating something fierce up front and can be felt in the wheel seat and shifter at all speeds and when goin straight and right BUT not when accellerating while turning left...mmhhmm... after five mins of driving the drivers front wheel is hot to the touch this is my daily driver and im not going anywhere till this gets sorted so plz if you know anything or have a tips for me thank you greatly in advance

Roto 01-30-2009 11:40 PM

RE: my 9k is having serios issues

Is it a knocking vibration or a "smooth" vibration? Is the rim hot or the tire? Does you brake pedal pulsate when you press on it?

959kaero 01-31-2009 06:45 AM

the rim itself gets very hot the vibration is slightly nulled with heavy acceleration but more knocky as i can hear it then smooth as just feeling it and its consistant but does repeat faster at higher speeds and decrease repitition with braking.......im so confused:( and yes the vibration can be felt throuout the whole car when braking driving or accelerating

959kaero 01-31-2009 08:13 AM

bump i nd your help!!!
sticky caliper ? lose transaxle outer half? would a loose transaxle allow stress to the rotor causing the heat? would a sticky caliper only stick going straight and right and disappear during a left turn?
its 21 degrees out there so i really need some guidance before i pull it apart without knowing what the problem is or could it be something else entirely the heat at the rim makes me very suspisious of the transaxle/caliper area nut again this just started the other day as a small vibration and has grown into a major sounding, feeling problem
also if i jack the car up and try to manually spin the driverside tire should a sticky caliper present itself/ or would this only happen while its under the load of the car? plz help me!!

Benny1560 01-31-2009 09:29 AM

21 degrees? That's cold! Still, it shouldn't take too long to jack up just one side of the car and take the wheel off. I'd say do a visual inspection of the clearance from rotor to pad, pad condition, and look to see if the rotor is badly warped as well. That will at least rule out or point you in the right direction. Let us know what you find!

boostpowered 01-31-2009 09:50 AM

look at the wheel hub/bearing its common for driverside front to go out

959kaero 01-31-2009 11:11 AM

ok upon inspection the pads have a ton of life left and the rotor turns smooth and appears free of defects and straigt and true
in regards to the wheel hub um....it doesnt wiggle shimmy or move when pushed pulled or shimmied (while vehicle is jacked up) does anyone know the proper torque load for the transaxle nut ? (just to rule it out)
also what other methods are used to check the wheel bearing/hub?

Roto 01-31-2009 11:59 AM

Do you have anyone with a pyrometer by any chance? Pinpointing the hottest component would be nice. Can you try to drive around the block without using brakes after it cools down and try to see if the rotor is getting very hot or if the hub is (pull the center cap and you'd be able to tell which one is hotter.

959kaero 01-31-2009 12:24 PM

i tightened the transaxle nut to about 80ft lbs and it seems better but i have no idea at what point tight is too tight

Saab Fahrer 01-31-2009 07:50 PM

If your refering to the axle nut that goes through the wheel hub, the spec for that is 214 ft/lbs.