Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   General Auto Related Help Area (https://saabforums.com/forum/general-auto-related-help-area-8/)
-   -   need to fix compressor surge (https://saabforums.com/forum/general-auto-related-help-area-8/need-fix-compressor-surge-1737/)

mr2mayhem 05-15-2009 02:50 AM

need to fix compressor surge

i have compressor surge. i have a stock BOV, and a SSQV BOV. niether of them are blowing off, i just get surge. is this because they are not working or is something else messed up. i really need help before major damage is caused.

Roto 05-15-2009 10:36 AM

It is possible that they are not working...it's also possible that you have a massive vacuum leak that is causing them not to open. When my Forge BOV had a broken spring it took me a while to figure out that it broke since it was sputtering a bit. If you're anywhere in the Philly area I can help out.

boostpowered 09-11-2009 03:32 PM

i agree with roto check all the lines

boostpowered 09-14-2009 09:09 AM

ive aso seen quite a few people installing the bpv in the wrong direction; flip it around and see what happens. next question are you making enough boost to move the spring?
when i first got my aftermarket bpv i had major surging i took the bpv apart and found that they sent three springs of different thicknesses installed in the bpv. took two out and it worked properly

Roto 09-15-2009 12:11 AM

Man, I've actually seen a recirculation valve installed backwards. Not on a Saab, but on a mazda... had a good laugh at the owner's expense :D

boostpowered 09-15-2009 11:49 AM

i have seen the bpv installed wrong on probably 8 out of 10 times when customers come in the shop saying that there is something wrong with their turbo. the other 2 out of 10
come in compaining of turbo problems,we look under the hood and they have an ebay turbo(there is your problem)

Roto 09-16-2009 11:11 AM

See boost controllers installed backwards often?

boostpowered 09-17-2009 12:29 PM

no because im usually the one putting the mbc on and explaining how to use it.
i have hade people come in complaining of a constant turbo whistle just to find out that they tried to clock their turbo and did not tighten the compressor housing enough and it ends up rubbing the wheel/housing. and they have to buy a brand new turbo and i get a free chra. the thing that really pisses me off is when people try to do their own wiring and it ends up looking like a birds nest so they bring it in to me to untangle it and do it right.

Roto 09-17-2009 01:49 PM

Sorry, that is too funny (wiring thing).

boostpowered 09-18-2009 11:24 AM

the wiring thing is unreal, almost 60% of the performance related issues that come through the shop are found to be crappy diy wiring like one 6gauge +12v lead spliced 50 to 60 times to run all the elecrical and the owner tells me "the way i wired it saves weight on the track" then i have explain to them why they are not winning any races

the other issue is people trying to adjust their suspension when they know damn well they dont know what they are doing. after a couple of close calls with the wall and they decide it would probably be better to have it done professionally.