Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://saabforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/)
-   -   should i buy a saab? (https://saabforums.com/forum/new-member-area-5/should-i-buy-saab-2626/)

JWF 05-21-2010 09:43 PM

should i buy a saab?

hello my name is joe. i may be considering a used saab in the future and i have a few questions.

first off, i have always loved saabs. they are beautiful cars and i had the opportunity once to drive one(although i cant remember which) and i loved it.

now, im not in the market for a high maintenance car. my current car is a 2007 ford focus zx3, which i have driven for 30,000 miles with no major problems. i am currently in college and i dont want to buy a car that im going to regret later.

so how reliable are 2000+ model saabs?
what can i expect to pay for maintenance or labor on one?
are parts for these cars too terribly expensive?

and im aware that recently the company almost died completely. are parts still readily available?

thank you in advance for your help and information.
let me know if i am not being specific enough

JWF 05-22-2010 09:34 PM

21 views and nobody can tell me if this is a good car?

Saaber95er 05-25-2010 10:24 AM

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Saabs are great cars, but like some cars it does have some things to look out for and some things that need to be addressed when purchasing a used Saab. Saabs years 1998-2003 (4cyl) have been prone to sludge issues if the car was poorly maintained. When purchasing try and get as much maintenance history you can on the car. Most used Saabs purchased; as a precaution the oil sump is dropped to see if any sludge buildup exists and the engine ventilation system #6 upgrade should also be installed (4 cyl), as well as regular oil changes 3500 to 5000 mile intervals with full synthetic oil; an engine flush can also be used between oil changes. Starting in 2004 and the sludge issue was corrected. Items that can go bad DIC (direct ignition coils), heater valve, CPS (crank position sensor), timing belt (6cyl) should be changed every 60k miles. If you do your own work on the car you can save yourself some cash these things can be changed without the use of a shop. There’re great cars like I said but very temperamental treat them right and they will run forever. There're many part outlets for Saab and most GM dealers will still carry Saab parts. Dealer we all know will charge a fortune for certain things, you can always look for a reliable Indie that might save you some dollars. For the most parts working on these cars aren't that bad. When I purchased mine I did all these things; I also tuned it up and changed all the vacuum hoses and drive belt. I also had to replace the waterpump and a belt pulley and just recently changed the heater valve, my car has 120K.

JWF 05-26-2010 08:08 AM

thanks for your advice! will look into this stuff more before making a purchase