Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://saabforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   I'm about to give up. (https://saabforums.com/forum/off-topic-6/im-about-give-up-947/)

bojib 03-25-2008 01:45 PM

I'm about to give up.

I need to get an axle nut off my saab that won't budge. I've already broke one socket on it (thought I did start the track bar end loose finally). Just working one stuck bolt at a time right now.

Then to make matters worse, on my way to work this morning, my Blazer starts to act up. I didn't think I was going to make it home this afternoon in it. It was cutting and missing something awful. I go out a few minutes ago trying to find the problem. Hook my trusty little scan tool up and it says that I am having a misfire on cylinder #5. So I get under the hood to see if I can find the problem, and the #5 plug wire falls apart in my hand.

So at least it's something simple with the Blazer. Of course, with the wife at work, I have no way at all to get anywhere to get parts. Been calling and aggravating her to death. Trying to get her to stop and get me a new socket, and a new set of plug wires. Luckily the guys at the parts store know me good enough that they went ahead and got the parts out for her, and have them waiting on her when she gets there.

Something is going to have to give soon (hopefully the axle nut). I need a vacation. [&o]

Roto 03-25-2008 02:26 PM

RE: I'm about to give up.

That's the reason plug wires are a 25K mile item:) And the axle nut... air tools work best here unfortunately..

bojib 03-25-2008 03:05 PM

I'm starting to believe that. Two broke 3/4" sockets, and one broke 1/2" breaker bar later.

I'm running out of options with what to do. I've about run out of nice, that tire place is going to be out the cost of a whole new hub.

crwchf01 03-25-2008 05:45 PM

Do yourself a favor- don't know for sure, but aren't one of the axle nuts left hand threads? And are you using 6pt sockets? Be happy it isn't the old VW Beetle axles- 32mm socket and a 6'ft beaker bar due to 200+ ft-lbs of torque.

bojib 03-26-2008 07:04 PM

So, what are my options if air tools aren't available? The car is in such a place that I can't get it to where I get any air tools to it. So I'm basically going to have to do it all by hand.

Will heating the nut up a little with a propane torch help any, or do more damage than good?

As for using 6 point sockets, everything I've used has been so far. The 3/4" inch sockets were, and I'm still kinda shocked at how easy they broke. Usually a good 3/4" set of tools is hard to tear up. I actually got the nut to turn maybe an eighth of a turn before the sockets broke though.

The half inch break bar didn't shock me at all when it broke. It just looked like it wouldn't be able to stand the pressure. The socket I was using with it shouldn't break as easy, it's a little better built, thicker walls, harder steal, all that good stuff. If the tools to turn it wouldn't break I'd be doing good.

bojib 03-26-2008 07:32 PM

Ok, this might be a stupid question. I've never the things before, so I don't know if it will work.

Basically, just two holes on the hub are almost completely stripped out. It would take minumum drilling to finish them up.

Could a person just put a Helicoil in those? Or would I not be able to torque it down tight enough?

I've never used a helicoil before, so I don't know if something like that would work.

Roto 03-26-2008 09:50 PM

Don't use a helicoil in a hub. As far as tools go, I've broken a lot of 3/4 stuff...not I only use 1/2. Heating the nut will help for sure.

bojib 03-26-2008 10:32 PM

The one 3/4" socket had to have something wrong with it already. I must have weakend sometimes before. I've used that set to remove axle nuts off a few different vehicles. It didn't seem to take much for it to break.

Everything on the running car is ready to come off. The wrecked one has been a completely different story. I guess it's just set so long rust has had time to wedge everything in place.

I think I may have come up with enough air hose to get some use out of air tools after all. Now I just have to make a trip to mom and dads and borrow his air compressor. Just hope there is enough room in the Blazer to haul it. Gives me a good excuse to go see them on the weekend.

Norskiglass 09-23-2008 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Roto

Don't use a helicoil in a hub. As far as tools go, I've broken a lot of 3/4 stuff...not I only use 1/2. Heating the nut will help for sure.
A little heat was the fist thing that popped into my mind.....aside from a cheater pipe.

kumaclimber 10-21-2008 03:11 AM

Heat it up then put the cheater bar on then hit the cheater bar with a hammer (the impact will prevent stripping and will break it loose) this simulates an air impact wrench so try that