Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   Saab 9-3 (https://saabforums.com/forum/saab-9-3-11/)
-   -   2000 Saab 9-3 SE convertible-Need advice (https://saabforums.com/forum/saab-9-3-11/2000-saab-9-3-se-convertible-need-advice-2349/)

mark@ddi 11-17-2009 10:27 AM

2000 Saab 9-3 SE convertible-Need advice

Total newbie here and looking for some help.

I have a young Japanese exchange student living with us that will start college in January. She needs a car to commute from the home to the school. About 10 miles per day in a huge variety of weather conditions.

I found a 2000 Saab 9-3 SE convertible for less than $4,000. Can carry liability only as it will be a cash purchase.

Car has 108,000 miles or so. I am under no illusions on the car as it is coming from a B- lot. Bought from a dealer trade in and available cheap.

Car fax is clean but is spotty on service records.

I always figure a $1,000 in for things that need to be done but in this case I don't know what pitfalls or traps are out there and am looking for just general information as to what cost items I might face.

I get tires and brakes but is there a timing belt, struts or ?????

Help please.

I assume these go in the snow being from Sweden and all?

Thanks

Mark

mark@ddi 11-19-2009 09:25 AM

2000 9-3

Ok I went with my gut and bought the car.

Heater/temp control dial doesn't work.

Inside drivers's door handle does not work.

Radio digital display is all garbled but radio works.

Info display shows the air bag light and the haz warning light continuously on.

Clean carfax so don't believe airbag was ever deployed. Sensors?

110,000 miles and runs smooth. 50% brakes and 50% tires.

Top leaks.

Was traded in to a Volvo dealer, detailed to the max and then sold at auction and I bought from a B- lot in as is for $3500.

Any of these issues sound familiar?

Thanks

trussie0372 12-02-2009 06:15 PM

hi there the hazard switch needs replaced common fault ur radio display again common prob u need to remove the sid unit from the dash on top of the unit if will say sid 1 or sid 2 use ebay for both of these items far cheaper than the dealers.the door handle maybe clip broken in door or needs new lever scrappy any 93 one will do hope this helps u some

Roto 12-04-2009 09:37 AM

Airbag light on is an issue. If the seats were removed from the car and the car was turned on that alone would set off the light, but please, take that car somewhere that has Tech2 to find out what's wrong with the SRS system otherwise in an accident the airbags may not deploy.

trussie0372 12-07-2009 08:45 AM

hi airbag light on could be a number of things i would say best thing is to get someone with tech 11 machine.this may only say airbag at fault but if you have broken wire the tech 11 will not tell you this you have to find the break in the wire.before removin the air bag disconnect the battery just in cass.ps disconnect the battery for 15min see if that will reset the light first thanks.will check into this for you

Roto 12-07-2009 09:13 AM

Airbag errors do not get reset with a battery disconnect since SRS modules use flash memory. I'm going to put my money on that the wiring is fine and that there's a code in there that can be read with tech2 and can be reset with the same tech2

Gabeabnorgo 12-07-2009 12:04 PM

2000 Saab 9 3 SE convertible Need advice

God I hope it goes to the Swedes so they can get Saab back to where it belongs.

mark@ddi 12-11-2009 08:57 AM

saab 9-3

The dealer advises that in order to get the light to go out I will have to replace the seat belt. Cost about $570. I was advised by Techs that air bag would still deploy if needed.

I got everything else fixed and then some and I really like the car!

Roto 12-11-2009 04:24 PM

SO it's the seatbelt pretensioneer error? You could get the parts at a junkyard.