Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   Saab 9-3 (https://saabforums.com/forum/saab-9-3-11/)
-   -   2002 Saab 9 3 convertible top leaks (https://saabforums.com/forum/saab-9-3-11/2002-saab-9-3-convertible-top-leaks-2502/)

jameswj3 12-29-2009 09:02 AM

2002 Saab 9 3 convertible top leaks

I'm new to the group and would appreciate any help you can offer. My 2002 Saab convertible top is leaking. The leak appears to be coming from the middle top part of the roof. The fabric on the inside of the car is wet at the middle about one foot behind the front seat headrests. The water then runs down the c-pillar to the rear floor soaking the carpet. If you are riving and you stop the car abruptly water comes out at the sunvisor.

TIA

James

curlisue1 09-22-2010 07:37 PM

Similar

Hello. I have a 99 Saab 9-3 and my top is leaking also in a similar manner. However the top is sagging sometimes in the front and lets water lay in there which then comes through to the inside. Then it is like water is getting into the plastic piece that the top attaches to - when I turn a corner the water comes out either side where the plastic comes together, or comes out in the front where the plastic comes together around the handle.

The top seems in great condition, looks new, no cracks, tears, etc... and when the weather is nice and dry it doesn't sag. But a little moisture in the air and it starts to sag in the front. Not sure what is happening. Not sure if the top was detached and not reattached properly or just wearing out. Seems strange that water gets down into the plastic area that the top attaches to.

Do you ever your convertible top sag? Does this sound similar to the issues you are having?

cylinder 09-29-2010 08:42 AM

My 2004 did the same thing. The problem was the cylinder that locks the top to the windshield frame. This cylinder is around 548.00 to purchase if you install yourself or about 900.00 if done by dealer. I rebuilt the cylinder myself and haven't had any more leaks for a year now.

jnjparker 10-05-2013 11:08 PM

Having Same Problems

Originally Posted by curlisue1 (Post 8311)
Hello. I have a 99 Saab 9-3 and my top is leaking also in a similar manner. However the top is sagging sometimes in the front and lets water lay in there which then comes through to the inside. Then it is like water is getting into the plastic piece that the top attaches to - when I turn a corner the water comes out either side where the plastic comes together, or comes out in the front where the plastic comes together around the handle.

The top seems in great condition, looks new, no cracks, tears, etc... and when the weather is nice and dry it doesn't sag. But a little moisture in the air and it starts to sag in the front. Not sure what is happening. Not sure if the top was detached and not reattached properly or just wearing out. Seems strange that water gets down into the plastic area that the top attaches to.

Do you ever your convertible top sag? Does this sound similar to the issues you are having?

This is the same problem im having with my saab

BigStankDaddy 08-05-2014 04:40 AM

I realize these posts are old and hopefully they fixed there problem by now but for new readers here is what i know. I had same problem, You top needs to be sealed every 1-2 years. I bought the 303 convertible top kit. Don't do it made mine worse. I ended up solving the problem by purchasing Scotchguard Fabric waterproofing spray from WalMart and Home Depot. 7 bucks for 10oz can at WalMart and 10 bucks for 13 Oz can at home depot. Smaller can wasn't enough to completely finish job. Make sure you buy the Scotchguard for outdoor use (Tents, Patio Umbrellas) No more wet spots on headliner and no more water pouring out of plastic channels around front of top. I made sure to get it really good around side lip and front near windsheild.