Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   Saab 9-3 (https://saabforums.com/forum/saab-9-3-11/)
-   -   2003 9-3 ARC lag (https://saabforums.com/forum/saab-9-3-11/2003-9-3-arc-lag-1350/)

jze1212 12-02-2008 09:49 PM

2003 9-3 ARC lag

Hi there. I just picked up a '03 9-3 ARC. 48k , nice car. Seems to be peppy but not sure if I am getting 210hp/220tq. 6 speed manual.. Maybe I am not used to depending on turbo, I went from a 2000 BMW 328i, so the power you had was pretty much there all the time. This car however feels peppier some times more than others. Also, it hardly boosts in 1st gear. Any suggestions?

coolleaf 12-05-2008 07:12 PM

RE: 2003 9-3 ARC lag

My 9-3 is the same year and model (Arc 6-speed) as yours andI noticed that my car runs better with Shell mid-grade gas. I'll ocasionally add a gallon or two of high-octane every once in a while.

jze1212 12-05-2008 09:01 PM

Yeah, I have been running 93 octane since I got it... It is not terrible, just not all there.. Where is everyone??? Answers? Since I posted this, my passenger window regulator went to pieces and I have developed a minor oil leak, possibly coming from the turbo, 48k on this car!!!!! Did I make a HUGE mistake moving from BMW...? Anyway, anyone else have any input on the turbo lag issue? Thanks

jze1212 12-09-2008 01:01 PM

Boy, a lot of folks posting but where is all the techies?? Anyone.. Anyone... Bueller... Anyone...

jze1212 12-28-2008 11:21 PM

Just about a month later and still no helpful replies... Where are the 9-3 enthusiasts? Will have to try forums elsewhere..

ulinda7 12-29-2008 03:19 AM

Sorry.. But I do not see the place to start a new post.. could you help please.
I am a new member and have had a major problem with my 2003 Saab 9-3.
For no apparent reason the Electronic ignition key did not work and the steering lock and the auto gear could not be disengaged. I had to get the car on a truck to be taken to the Saab agency.
I have been informed that the Electronic CIM module has to be replaced and two new keys issued. Now I have been told that the steering lock assembly has to be broken physically to remove the steering lock assembly and free the Auto transmission. Is this correct. I am at a loss to understand why the steering lock assembly has to be wrecked in order to repair it. The vehicle has done only 50,000K . very grateful for any suggestions. Many thanks.

Roto 12-29-2008 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: jze1212
Also, it hardly boosts in 1st gear. Any suggestions?
It's supposed to be that way. The boost is electronically limited in 1st and 2nd gears to prevent wheelspin. It's a way to conmpensate for lack of an LSD.

Roto 12-29-2008 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: jze1212

Yeah, I have been running 93 octane since I got it... It is not terrible, just not all there.. Where is everyone??? Answers? Since I posted this, my passenger window regulator went to pieces and I have developed a minor oil leak, possibly coming from the turbo, 48k on this car!!!!! Did I make a HUGE mistake moving from BMW...? Anyway, anyone else have any input on the turbo lag issue? Thanks
How do you know there's an oil leak? Can you describe the oil loss? Any oil stains when the car sits for a while?

jze1212 01-15-2009 12:35 PM

Hi Roto, thanks a lot for the replies! Is there a way to remove that "boost limit" from 1st gear? It jumps right up in 2nd gear as it should.. I found that if you get the revs up just a hair and almost dump the clutch it will boost up more but I do not want to have clutch issues down the road, it would be nice to have that torque when you need it in first.. I am thinking about building a custom cold air intake for it as well along with an exhaust. I was disappointed to learn that I cannot do much with the bypass valve as that air is calculated back on the intake side where it is dumped. So no loud BOV on this car eh? Any suggestions? Not much you can do with this Trionic 8 unless you get the PPC , a bit $$$$$$

As far as the oil leak goes, I brought the car to the dealer to have the window regulator replaced and they said that the leak was from the PCV system being blocked up , and they fixed it. not the case, they did not do **** to it but clean it off and send it out.. I put it in my garage and it appears to be coming from between the engine in the transmission which would lead one to think it is the rear main seal.. I have an extended warranty so I just need to get that taken care of because I certainly am not going to tackle that one... Not on a car I just got!

Thanks again for the replies - any more info on the 03 9-3 ARC would be great!

jze1212 01-15-2009 12:38 PM

Hey Roto,

Forgot to mention that what tipped me off about the oil leak was that after driving you can smell the oil burning off the exhaust and coming into the vents.. temp fix is to put vent on 'recirculate' :) , Followed by a small puddle after driving.. Only leaks while car is running... Thanks again..