Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   Saab 9-3 (https://saabforums.com/forum/saab-9-3-11/)
-   -   Can I swap a low pressure engine to replace a high pressure one? (https://saabforums.com/forum/saab-9-3-11/can-i-swap-low-pressure-engine-replace-high-pressure-one-8683/)

bruno937 04-28-2013 10:57 AM

Can I swap a low pressure engine to replace a high pressure one?

Just bought a mint 60k miles 02 9-3 se with a bad engine because I had already located an engine for it for only $600. Unfortunately now I found out it's not a low pressure turbo but a high pressure turbo engine and only ones I can find are $1500 and up. Yet another Saab forums claim that the engines are identical but the software and turbo are different.
Is that correct? Can I just buy a (b204L) low pressure engine to replace my (b205r) high pressure engine? Are there any complications? I don't care about power going up and down as long as the car runs nice.
Thanks for your input before I make a $1000 mistake.

Roto 04-28-2013 02:33 PM

It'll go in and with a re-flash will be just fine. Just make sure you run a black ignition casette since your car is a T7 car and you didn't provide details on year of your replacement engine. Most likely a T5.

bruno937 04-28-2013 06:21 PM

Thanks for the response Roto. The replacement engine is a B204L and supposed to fit 2000-2002 low pressure cars. It's vin code is N. How do I know if I have a black ignition cassette and how much does an average flash costs and do I have to have it done? Just need to add the numbers to make sure they make sense.
Also if I keep the computer as is wouldn't it be better to get the same power as before instead of losing 20 hp? Or it just won't work as is? Thanks again.

Roto 04-29-2013 01:26 PM

Ok, I did more research. Looks like you will need to use the intake manifold with everything else from your original engine, including the ignition cassette. The DIC (direct ignition cassette) is that large thing dead in the middle of the engine head. It's normally red or black in color. The color, if it has not been re-painted, indicates the engine management system. T5- red, T7 - black. In your case you need to use your black cassette. I was wrong about the reflash, as if you use your original turbocharger and intercooler - you will not need it. Either way a reflash is almost free these days and a DIY job at that. Sorry, I'm just a tad bit rusty on this tech since it's been a few years since I touched my last saab.

bruno937 04-30-2013 08:58 AM

Thanks again for all the valuable info. I discussed it with my mechanic (very good friend) and we decided to see if we can figure out what's exactly damaged in the engine and if we can fix it first. Once we figure out the costs involved we'll decide which way to proceed. The car was driven with low oil on the highway (oil leak)We are hoping it's just the crank bearings.