Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   Saab 9-3 (https://saabforums.com/forum/saab-9-3-11/)
-   -   Crankshaft sensor and Stability Control censors (https://saabforums.com/forum/saab-9-3-11/crankshaft-sensor-stability-control-censors-1439/)

Mariah 01-14-2009 12:40 PM

Crankshaft sensor and Stability Control censors

My 2004 9-3 with 126,000 miles on it, stalled the other day and I needed it to be towed to the dealer to be looked at.

I had brought it in a few months earlier when the Stability control SID went on- I was told that the sensor was $500 and $275 to install. I asked them what would happen if I didn't install a new one, and they said nothing really- it just tells the car which way you are turning and would help you in a skid.

WELL...Now, about 5 moths later, they are saying that this sensor, because it wasn't fixed, is causing the car not to start.??? I also need to have the crankshaft sensor replaced ( I have no idea what that is) because the car needs to know what gear to go into.

The light that went on that caused all this was the "gearbox malfunction SID" - I should mention that Saab paid to have my radiator and transmission replaced in August 2008 due to the coolank leak issue.

It is going to cost me $1.050.00 to fix both sensors- And I JUST paid the car off (figures)

Does this seem reasonable? Is anything to do with the transmission maybe causing this?

And- Why would they tell me the stability sensor was ok not to replace if 5 months down the road it was going to cause the car not to run? Do you think I have an issue with the dealer on this one?

I love my car- but if it is going to cost me $1000 every time I bring it in, I may get a new car ( which I really can't afford right now)...

Roto 01-14-2009 01:06 PM

RE: Crankshaft sensor and Stability Control censors

I hate dealers. On that note - the crank position sensor is indeed needed for the car to start. Do you have the option of going somewhere else? I would buy the parts at www.eeuroparts.com and have them installed at an independent shop. I'd start with the Crank Pos Sensor first, since I know for a fact that a bad one of those can cause the car to not start. As far as the stability sensor goes, I'd hold off on it until the CPS is replaced. It shouldn't be more than $100 in labor to replace that too.

Mariah 01-14-2009 01:19 PM

Thanks Roto- I don't really like dealers either- but the CSR at this dealer did convince Saab to pay for my radiator and transmission even though my car had 122,000 miles on it due to the coolant cuplink leak issue. That was $4400.00 worth of savings for me. I did do some investigating work on the service advisory and did bring it up, but without the dealer backing me with the Saab Service people I might have been out of luck. The dealer only wants $275.00 for the crank position sensor and labor- Its the stability control one that costs $500 ad $275 for labor!

I am going to ask if they can replace only the crank position sensor first.

Roto 01-14-2009 02:50 PM

I would ask if they can just disable the stability control. Sure it's a nice feature to have, but if it's possible to turn it off than I don't see why not.

Mariah 01-14-2009 02:58 PM

Dealer said No can do on the shut off of the stability control module.

5 months ago I was told that this module being defective wasn't causing any issues- No I am told it is...

You know- If you have to pay this much for the car to run on the modules- why can't the car drive itself too?

Roto 01-14-2009 03:38 PM

I'll try to look into it. I just don't understand why stability control would prevent the car from starting.

boostpowered 01-15-2009 08:27 AM

i cant beleive people still go to the dealers they are such a ripoff i stopped going a long time ago i had a service tech leave a breaker bar under the hood