Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   Saab 9-3 (https://saabforums.com/forum/saab-9-3-11/)
-   -   Help: Need DIC assistance. (https://saabforums.com/forum/saab-9-3-11/help-need-dic-assistance-8661/)

flynn 03-25-2013 03:14 PM

Help: Need DIC assistance.

2002 9-3 sport turbo 102,000 km's.
One day after a 2 minute drive shut it off for ten minutes now won't start. It was cold weather and low on gas but nowhere near empty, always burn high test. Ok I can hear the fuel pump and have lots of fuel pressure at the banjo bolts at the fuel filter. Tried quick start, nothing, so I assume it is the DIC. My two questions are would you agree with the diagnosis and considering that I am financially challenged what are the pro's con's and price of OEM, aftermarket and used? I live a half hour from civilization and in need of your help. Thank you Ottawa Canada

Roto 03-26-2013 07:05 AM

No, do not agree with it yet. Does your car restart when it cools down completely? If it does it is most likely the crank position sensor. You will not get spark with correct timing without that sensor working properly.

flynn 03-26-2013 10:22 AM

Hey Roto thanks for your interest. Problem is it still won't start. Tried for days and no go.

Roto 03-27-2013 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by flynn (Post 15042)
Hey Roto thanks for your interest. Problem is it still won't start. Tried for days and no go.

Crank it. Pull the plugs, see if they're wet. Just hearing the pump hum doesn't mean you actually are getting fuel. If wet - pull the DIC and see if there's any damage to it. If not - test if you're actually getting spark. BE CAREFUL WHEN CHECKING SPARK AND BE AWARE THAT THE DIC PERFORMS A CLEANING CYCLE AFTER THE KEY IS PULLED. YOU MUST WAIT UNTIL THAT IS DONE BEFORE TOUCHING THE DIC AGAIN. It's when the DIC hums after the engine has been shut off. To check for spark - pull the DIC off, put in 4 spark plugs in it. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT- GROUND all 4 plugs to the engine head. If you don't you risk damaging the DIC. after that have someone crank the car and see if you have spark. Before checkking for spark - pull the fuel pump fuse so you don't flood the cylinders with fuel and won't cause a fire. If you have wet plugs and have spark - you probably have a bad Crankshaft position sensor. If you have no fuel - could be some issue with fuel system or ECU not getting something it needs, we can go from there after all testing. If you have no spark it COULD be the DIC, but it also could be the ECU not sending the signal. If you have no fuel and no spark in the cylinders you have a problem with ECU not starting the car.

Is this enough info for you to proceed? If you need quicker help - PM me and we could talk over skype on further troubleshooting.

flynn 03-28-2013 02:53 PM

Hey Roto thanks so much for the time and effort spent trying to sort me out. I need to get it closer to my tools, short tow low speed. Once i get that done I will proceed with these diagnostic steps and keep you informed.