Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   Saab 9-3 (https://saabforums.com/forum/saab-9-3-11/)
-   -   saab sludging. MUST READ! (https://saabforums.com/forum/saab-9-3-11/saab-sludging-must-read-457/)

Roto 02-21-2007 12:36 PM

saab sludging. MUST READ!

Now if you have a 2.3 N/A motor you could skip this thread, but if you are driving and 2.0 turbo or a 2.3 turbo (you lucky viggen drivers) than you need to read up. There is a big problem with oil sludge in these cars. And by sludge I do not mean that gooey stuff that can get dissolved. I mean ROCKHARD carbon deposits in the oilpan. This becomes a problem somewhere past 80K miles if you had your oilchanges done at about 4K and never missed a change. What happens is this: these deposits start blocking the oil pick-up screen and once the screen is completely blocked the engine dies from oil starvation. Now don't run away from a saa, please. This is easily cleaned up if you get your oilpan taken off and the pick-up screen cleaned. It may seem like a difficult job because you HAVE TO at least unbolt the front of the suframe, but in fact it only sounds big. Took me about 3 hours with a lift, without a lift could take you may be 5 hours. There have been updates to the PCV system that are supposed to help with avoiding sludge which should get installed as soon as you get a chance. The only easy way to tell if you have a problem with sludge is to pull your valve cover (get a new gasket before you start and while it's off it might be a good idea to retorque the head bolts) and see if there are any carbon deposits there.

This is not something that should make you not get a saab. This is just something that you should be aware of when getting one)))

Des 02-21-2007 01:37 PM

RE: saab sludging. MUST READ!

Hi

Your right about the oil strainer blocking up, but you do not have to remove the sub frame. Have a look at "How to remove oil strainer 9-5,sump" Des. As you said you should also change the breather pipes, approx, £25.
Be careful if you retorque head bolts on an Aluminium engine ????

Regards
Des

Roto 02-21-2007 01:47 PM

You have a 95:)))) You can't take the oil pan off on a 9-3 without undoing the subframe)))) And retorquing head bolts is only if you have the correct specs and a torque wrench.

cbascue 09-16-2007 10:36 AM

Saabs all ship with Mobil1 now and requier it at every change. Synthetic oilwill not leave carbon deposits.

Roto 09-16-2007 11:37 AM

hehe...synthetic might not leave as much deposits, but it can still turn into sludge if ran long enough...but it's good to know that saab is going all synthetic.

nbsman 01-17-2008 02:15 PM

I'm not sure what kind of oil the previous owner put in but I'm afraid it's cheap mineral oil ,so knowing the problem of oil sludge i think i should replace oil and probably do the engine flush,but what brand and type of synthetic oil works best for saabs?

Roto 01-17-2008 04:02 PM

knowing your engine I would not stop at that. To REALLY prevent problems you should pull the oil pan off and get the screen cleaned.

hawaiisaab93 01-19-2008 04:41 PM

wow imma have to get this checked out at my next oil change

nbsman 04-11-2008 05:51 PM

Do you know where to ge the oil pan gasket?Couldn't find it online.

Roto 04-11-2008 06:45 PM

there is no gasket...it's silicone...