Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   Saab 9-3 (https://saabforums.com/forum/saab-9-3-11/)
-   -   Wow unknown problem with my saab! (https://saabforums.com/forum/saab-9-3-11/wow-unknown-problem-my-saab-2505/)

mikeandike88 01-06-2010 12:15 AM

Wow unknown problem with my saab!

i recently purchased a 2004 saab 9-3 with 85k miles. the car ran perfect until earlier today it started jerking on the highway. at first i felt like the transmission was slipping b/c as i was giving it gas it would start like vibrating (felt like i was going over rumble strips). it started off as a little slip i guess, then eventually got worse to the point where if i continued to give it throttle as it downshifted, it would cause this vibration. i got worried, and took a local road rest of the way home. i was testing it out and it only seemed to vibrate/jerk like this wen the turbo gauge would get really close to the red strips. if the turbo gauge was halfway then the car ran and shifted fine...
so i started leaning towards a turbo b/c i know there is a slight whistle coming from it, and i figured it just went on me; but at full throttle the power seemed to be there; i am very stumped by this problem; also the check engine light would flash and go away; it stayed on once and displayed misfire on cylinder 1, which i later reset with my scan tool; but it never came back on.
please if anyone has any thoughts on this, let me know asap
thanks

Roto 01-06-2010 02:46 PM

It's possible that you're running lean and/or have fouled plugs. I'd start with fuel filter and plugs. Than it's fuel pump or the DIC. Need more info to tell for sure. You're experiencing boost cut most liekly.

mikeandike88 01-07-2010 12:30 PM

well i checked the plugs, they look fine, (i did replace em like 2 months ago). like the car runs perfect wen throttle is halfway or lower, as soon as i give it maybe 3/4 throttle and the turbo gauge goes up to almost the red lines, then it starts to jerk like this. i took it for a quick drive this morning and check engine light came on and stayed on, so i checked it out and it gave me a p301 code (cylinder 1 misfire). so im thinking ignition coil??? or no??

Roto 01-07-2010 02:23 PM

very possible that the cassette is on the way out. Is there anyone with a similar car around you that you could swap with to test your theory? It's right around the milage when that part can start going bad.

Saab Fahrer 01-07-2010 07:25 PM

I agree ^^^

SaabSon 03-12-2012 09:14 PM

Did anyone find out what was wrong with the above mentioned problem? I'm currently in the same predicament as Mikeandike88. Any feedback or direction as to a thread that might be helpful is appreciated.

mikeandike88 03-13-2012 11:57 AM

Yea it was my ignition coils. Check rockauto.com. I believe they were in the neighborhood of $90

SaabAero02 10-14-2012 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by mikeandike88 (Post 10691)
Yea it was my ignition coils. Check rockauto.com. I believe they were in the neighborhood of $90

Do you still have your Saab? If so, have you had any problem with the direct ignition coil purchased from rockauto.com? I have an '02 9-5 aero with a P1334 code. After much reading on this forum (thank you for everyone's insight) and other sites, I was under the assumption to only go OEM on the DIC (Direct Ignition COil). Maybe I'm wrong. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

mikeandike88 10-15-2012 07:30 AM

Yea I still have the Saab, and since replacing all 4 ignition coils I had no problems what so ever. Hope that helps

SaabAero02 10-15-2012 10:23 AM

Thanks, mikeandike88.