Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   Tuner's playground (https://saabforums.com/forum/tuners-playground-31/)
-   -   diy bov diaphragm (https://saabforums.com/forum/tuners-playground-31/diy-bov-diaphragm-1564/)

boostpowered 02-25-2009 06:06 PM

diy bov diaphragm

my greddy type s bov's diaphragm blew a hole today on my way to work. (and im not the type of person that likes to be seen broken down on the side of the road!) not if i can do anything about it. anyway when i left the house things just werent right to begin with.
erratic idle when i started, then compressor flutter ,then stall out at the stop light .
so i puttered it about 1/4mile from the good ole walmart before it totally started stalling then overrunning. i stoped it there and started poking around the engine bay i couldnt find any leaks in piping/intercooler i eliminated everything except the bov. so i unbolted it and took it apart and shure enough there is a split in the diaphragm that i can pass a nickle through. so i take off to walmart in search of a rubber glue of some sort. on the way to the tool/adhesive section i passed the bike display and it hit me... i can't use adhesive it takes 24hrs to cure and a bike inner tube would be a better choice. so i bought the biggest thickest one they had.went back to the car cut the inner tube to the size of the diaphragm
and reassembled the bov.now there is more throttle response than the original, no leaks, and it seems to hold more pressure than it did before.

i will let everyone know if it don't work. so far so good!

Roto 02-26-2009 09:06 PM

Interesting solution. I think my Forge BOV is failing. I'll be disassembling it this saturday.

boostpowered 02-27-2009 06:53 AM

roto let me know if you run into a problem withe the forge unit

Roto 02-27-2009 08:34 PM

looks like I don't have a problem with the BOV...it's the vac lines that get blown off by higher boost...zipties to the rescue I guess. Meanwhile I took the wastegate arm off so I dont have to listen to compressor surge.

boostpowered 03-01-2009 09:15 AM

the heat from higher boost is expanding the lines. get some good screw clamps .
the small ones are cheap and can be had at the hardware store. zip ties wont hold long
ive tried tey get brittle and the hose just pops off at full throttle

Roto 03-01-2009 06:55 PM

well...turns out my BOV IS in fact broken. The spring was broken in two places! Will post a picture later. It's disappointing that a Forge BOV could suffer such a failure.

boostpowered 03-02-2009 06:15 AM

there are usually spring of the right size at lowes and home depot. don't waste money on those expensive springs if you cant find one pm me i have an extra medium spring in my tool box

Roto 03-02-2009 11:34 AM

It's the large diameter spring. It's around 2" - 2.5" in diameter. I haven't seen them at lowes. I'm just gonna run with a disconnected WG arm for a while since I'm afraid that higher boost won't be taken well by the stock valve.

Roto 03-02-2009 11:40 AM

Just got off the phone with Forge! They're shipping me a replacement free of charge.

Roto 04-08-2009 09:51 AM

...and I got it today. Way too slow.