Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   Tuner's playground (https://saabforums.com/forum/tuners-playground-31/)
-   -   New to saabs (https://saabforums.com/forum/tuners-playground-31/new-saabs-1529/)

AWDboostADDICT 02-10-2009 09:03 PM

New to saabs

Well ladies and gents, my name is Al.
I am a subaru open source tuner.
I have tuned a few wrx's, a few DSM's, a saabaru (saab 92-x), and a fair share of hondas.
well now a friend of mine has came to me asking me what I can do for his saab 93x, I first told him that with an MBC (manual boost controller) and me retuning it we could probably make some great gains.
well he has decided that he wants me to do all the work on this car and make him some good power.
only one problem
I have searched for 3-4 hours on google and various saab forums and have yet to find anything about opensource tuning for saabs.
So I am asking your guys' help to see if there is open source tuning for these cars or is his only option one of those ****ty british made reflash's?
thanks in advance,
Big Al

Roto 02-10-2009 09:08 PM

RE: New to saabs

Well, you probably want to take a look at www.ecuproject.com as that is the opensource saab community. It's a lot of reading though. Hang around for non-ecu related questions.

AWDboostADDICT 02-10-2009 09:17 PM

alright thanks alot, My main problem is finding the right cable and program.
his car is an 06, I know on the saabaru/92x I was able to use my openport cable, but there are no strait forward answers on the OBD2 to USB cables.
thanks for the help,
Al

Roto 02-10-2009 09:21 PM

Can you take a picture of the ECU with the serial number sticker? I can than point you in the right direction.

AWDboostADDICT 02-10-2009 09:22 PM

Ill get a picture tomorow, thats when im supposed to be installing his Boost gauge and MBC.
with an 06 would the stock ecu be a t7 or t5?

Roto 02-11-2009 08:06 AM

It should be a T7, and I wouldn't bother with an MBC since you WILL be able to control boost by the ECU and it's much better than not having ECU control it...

AWDboostADDICT 02-11-2009 05:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Roto

It should be a T7, and I wouldn't bother with an MBC since you WILL be able to control boost by the ECU and it's much better than not having ECU control it...
Actually... an MBC is well worth it. let me explain how/why.
so first you tune the car, no MBC and get everything perfected, along with the ECU controlled boost, then you install the boost control and dial that in so it is hitting the same target as the boost target in the tune.
Now this is worth it for a few reasons.
First: Its alot easier to play with boost +- A few PSI and not worry to much about the tune.
Second, This allows full boost sooner. On my subaru before MBC 1st gear would make ~10 PSI, Second Would make 15ish, and 3rd would hit the target 18.3 PSI. now with the mbc first was hitting 15psi, second was hitting full boost, it was like a whole new car, plus the turbo seemed to spool quicker, and I was able to hold boost for longer(closer to redline)

-Al

Roto 02-11-2009 06:32 PM

I disagree, mostly because the BPC is able to control boost just like an MBC can. You are also able to change boost maps pretty much on the fly (at least in T5 you can, I don't have a T7 car). The downside of having an MBC is the car sensing knock while you're doing a 20psi pull and not able to cut boost.

AWDboostADDICT 02-12-2009 12:55 PM

so do your guys' cars hit full spool in 1st? or is the boost a dependent on load?
that why a subaru will not hit full boost from the boost map, becuase there isnt enough load.

Roto 02-12-2009 09:38 PM

I personally don't have a T7 car, but if you were to ask the same question in the T7 section of EcuProject I'm sure they'll have a concrete answer. Based on my T5 experience - it's possible, but is rather silly to do so.