85 900 turbo weird firing prob???????

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 01:22 PM

Default 85 900 turbo weird firing prob???????

Hey guys,im really new to saabs my father in law just gave my wife 1.To make a long story short we kept breaking down and getting it to run by turning the distributor(i did this because it sounded real outta time).I took apart the distributor and found the lower rotor(not sure if it's wat its called the round metal 4 spaces rotor i guess works as points system)was spining because the key wasnt in the slot..I made a key and the rotor is now in the right position.Ok here comes the puzzling part.The car fires right up but runs like theres a miss so i started pulling plug wires.

So if i pull the num 3 or 4 cylinder wire the car idles right up n runs great but if i put it back on it idles down and runs rough.I can pull either one and it runs fine,if i pull both it runs the same as if both are hoocked up.????????
Its like when they both hooked up it cancles them out as if they are shorting some how.Ive checked for arks/shorting and is none.Im clueless and do not wanna drive on 3 cylinders.Any ideas would help thx.

By the way if i pull either 1 or 2 cylinder wire the car wants to stall those are the only cylinders running the car untill i pull 1 of the other 2 off.

Last edited by bnice66; 03-20-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:45 PM

Are these forums/site dead??????
Old 03-23-2010, 04:44 PM

no its not dead we just have jobs and famlies to deal with.first off you won't be able to adjust timing on a b202 by turning the ditributor that will only wreck your engine. secondly by key do you mean the 2 metal clamps holding the distibutor cap on? the part that turns and delivers the spark or rotor should be glued onto the indexed shaft.it sounds to me you have messed up the timing by moving it take it to a garage asap!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:06 PM

Didnt mean to offend anyone just wasnt getting replies wasnt sure if the website was active or not.Im very mechanically inclined i went to a votec for 4 years for auto mech.Im more domestic but what im talking about is a lower rotor inside the distributor that works as the points system it's under the actual rotor and under the dust cap,.there is a key slot along the whole rotor shaft and who ever worked on it before did not put it back so when driving the lower rotor spun w/o me knowing which is why i turned the distributor and it sum what corrected the timing.I do know the firing order and also brought num 1 piston tdc on compression stroke and the rotor was alligned perfect with the timing mark made on rotor shell.Timing is perfect wich is why im puzzled as to why this is happening.Ive never encountered sumthing like this.

Again car runs rough n studders on accelerating,.I can pull "either 3 or 4 cylinder wire doesnt matter which 1 and car idles right up n runs great.put it back n car idles down n runs rough.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:38 PM

the firing order is 1324 if the points trigger is just freely spinning id say to either get a whole new distributor form ebay or salvage yard. to my knoledge you cannot buy them new or even remanufactured. on the distributor if you are standing at the front of the car the closest plug to you is #1 then the next one going towards the windshied is #3 then #2 then #4 is on the bottom. if your wires or plugs are old they can flashover and cause the car to idle crazy. so can a bad AMM, igniton amp, or apc box. hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:23 PM

Hey guys, i know its of topic but i just bought a 2001 SAAB Aero 2.3t and im in utter need of advice and i dont know how to start a new thread to ask for help.
My car when at full acceleration especiall in third gear seems to reach a point where it slows down a bit and it feels like something is wrong, could it be spark plugs??
Thanks