Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   General Auto Related Help Area (https://saabforums.com/forum/general-auto-related-help-area-8/)
-   -   1996 900 bizarre electrical problems (https://saabforums.com/forum/general-auto-related-help-area-8/1996-900-bizarre-electrical-problems-4654/)

utahman 02-10-2012 10:24 AM

1996 900 bizarre electrical problems

I really don’t know where to post this topic, so I’ll start here.
I’m new to this forum & to Saabs in general, so bear with me please.

Problems:
(1) left headlight is “dimmer” than the right one, but only intermittently.
In other words, when it does work – sometimes it doesn’t at all - it functions not as bright as it should.

(2) Right brake light also operates only intermittently.
I constantly get the error notice on the display during startup “checking” sequence.
Yet, there are times when it is working fine.

All bulbs are new…functioning OK
All fuses are functioning OK
Milage = 216,000
New alternator / generator two years ago.

Has anyone else encountered this problem…or one like it ?

BOOSH 02-11-2012 07:54 PM

electrical problems

This is more than likel unrelated as the 2 cars are so different. Anyway i had this same problem in my 1998 dodge ram, it ended up being a relay switch, again probably not but its worth a try.

BOOSH 02-11-2012 08:15 PM

other idea...

My Friend just told me to tell you that it sounds like a faulty ground wire, he said check and if needed replace the grounds and they should brighten up.

VlkWgnDave 02-11-2012 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by utahman (Post 10629)
I really don’t know where to post this topic, so I’ll start here.
I’m new to this forum & to Saabs in general, so bear with me please.

Problems:
(1) left headlight is “dimmer” than the right one, but only intermittently.
In other words, when it does work – sometimes it doesn’t at all - it functions not as bright as it should.

(2) Right brake light also operates only intermittently.
I constantly get the error notice on the display during startup “checking” sequence.
Yet, there are times when it is working fine.

All bulbs are new…functioning OK
All fuses are functioning OK
Milage = 216,000
New alternator / generator two years ago.

Has anyone else encountered this problem…or one like it ?

Just like boosh said I told him. Most likely considering the miles the car has seen. You are experiencing electrical problems. The head light that is dim, take the ground wire and cut it, but leave some length so you can ground it to the core support or even the fender will do. that should solve that problem. Then do the same for your tail light. If the problem persists post back and I'll try to help. Good luck!

utahman 02-12-2012 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by VlkWgnDave (Post 10636)
Just like boosh said I told him. Most likely considering the miles the car has seen. You are experiencing electrical problems. The head light that is dim, take the ground wire and cut it, but leave some length so you can ground it to the core support or even the fender will do. that should solve that problem. Then do the same for your tail light. If the problem persists post back and I'll try to help. Good luck!

thank yor for the reply ...

excellent advice, i'll see what i can do here.
hopefully it's not a relay switch, re-working the wires seems like a better option.

i assume the ground wires are black ?

BOOSH 02-12-2012 10:13 AM

ground wire color

they are not always black, try to find a wire scematic for your vehicle.

brand33 03-29-2013 05:09 AM

Thank you for sharing your information.

NoelReitz 04-02-2013 01:34 PM

Usually the headlight problem is related to the orange relay inside the engine compartment fuse relay box. On European cars the ground wires are usually brown, black wires are hot with the ignition, and red wires are hot all of the time.