General Auto Related Help Area Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clutch! :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:38 PM

Default RE: Clutch! :(

ugh I just had it towed to my house. I am wondering if I should just dissassymble the "front" of the trans and see what the heck is going on.... I was driving at about 30 mph and I was accelerating full throttle/full boost and going into third it just kinda popped...and he is the key guys...it sounded like I was driving over pebbles or like loose gravel...to me that sounds like the damn clutch blew up. but the guy claims it was replaced in december and he sent me a copy of his online conformation on his clutch purchase. I just cant` fathom why the clutch blew up. thats why this talk of the clutch master cyl is got me thinking....the car cycles through all the gears but when running, you can put the car "in gear" with-out touching the clutch pedal.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

nah...than it's not the cylinder...it would grind like crazy if you tried to put it in gear with a blown cylinder. I bet all that was replaced was the clutchdisk and not the pressure plate.

http://photo.platonoff.com/Auto/check out this site. The guy had a step-by step removal and reinstallation of the transmission. Your tranny could be a little different from his, but the general procedure is the same. He also lists all the tools needed.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:31 AM

thanks alot for the link... ugh this is really discouraging its 81 and breezy here in chicago and the car is just sitting here.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

I know how that feels. My car was illegal for over a month cause the state of PA messed up and that was frustrating looking at it, but unable to drive it. Order the parts and keep reading over the procedure. You should be able to do it in a weekend.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:34 PM

s thanks man...its confirmed...its the clutch. I pryied the scatter shield open a little bit and I was met with raining pieces of organic material......sucks...... so the trans comes out this weekend
Old 05-15-2007, 04:23 PM

well clutches are nbd just takes time and burning clutch smell is normal during break in and BE GENTAL for the first 500 miles at least(I just put a stage2 clutch in mine) and it's worth it to have the flywheel resurfaced you don't know what you exploding clutch did to it
Old 05-15-2007, 04:49 PM

thanks guys. ya I will inspect the flywheel and take lots of pics.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:51 PM

cool we may get our first project thread w00t
Old 05-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

And if you need anything or have any questions just post and I'll try to visit here often during the weekend and see if I can offer help as you go through the thing.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:01 PM

thanks man will do. This will be an adventure. I will report back.

Quick Reply: Clutch! :(