General Auto Related Help Area Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

help saab 9-5 smoking very badly

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 09:29 PM

Default help saab 9-5 smoking very badly

hi all, new to site and to world of saabs,
as for the above post about turbo smoking, my saab 9-5 1998 has been of the the road for about a year now and i finaly got round to changing the clutch on it (WHAT A NIGHTMARE THAT WAS) but anyway got it all done and took it for a long drive approx 60miles and the way home it started smoking and when i let off the gas and then as i reaplied it, it would judder and hesitate as if were going to stall the engine, the smoke got worse and when i got home i checked the oil and it was dry, i put some more oil in and the smoke got even worse, so much that i could hardly see the car through the smoke, at first i thought it may be that the fuel in the tank was off do to it being sitting around for a year so i put about 10 ltrs in from an empty tank but still smoking,also the check engine light has come on, any help or advise on this would be greatfull, thanks wayne
Old 09-15-2006, 08:17 PM

Default RE: help saab 9-5 smoking very badly

Hey man I just bought a 1996 900 Se Turbo. When I test drove it, no smoke or shudder. After I bought it and started driving it off, I noticed there was smoking. It was only on start up, so I assumed it was the valve guides, which is no big deal. Then the smoke became more persistant, so I assumed it was the rings. worse but still not a big deal. Well I had to change the power steering hose, when I did and got it back on the road, I was putting down a smoke screen that would cover a full tank division assault across the desert floor. Turns out there is a hole in my block. So my car is in the shop as I type this getting a used engine put in.

I suggest you bring your car to the nearest dealer or mechanic and have them check the valves, valve guides, and rings. Don't bother trying to cover it up with the "no smoke" or "smoke be gone" quick fixes. I hope you get a little out of this..
Old 10-25-2006, 07:47 PM

Sounds like you may have totally DESTROYED your turbo. Turbos are very sensitive items. They spin at 10's of thousands of revolutions per minute and need oil for cooling and lubrication. Hopefully, you can get buy with just replacing the turbo and not the entire engine.

Brian
________
Motorcycle Tires

Last edited by bgpilot; 04-07-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:29 PM

How "DRY" was the engine? How much oil did you have to add? Is your motor making any abnormal noises now? If you ran it too low on oil you may have destroyed your engine.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:46 PM

I have a 1999 SAAB 95 SE 2.3t . I am experiencing white smoke from my muffler and there aren't any leaksand no indication of overheating, onlythere was a white cloud behind me all the fluids seem t o be ok can you help me .
Old 03-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

White smoke is definitly water...now where that water is coming from is the big question. Possibly the headgasket has started to go. Couldalso come from the turbo too. What is your milage? How much smoke do you exactly have? Does it happen all the time? Does it go away after a while?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:28 PM

153,000 ml don't stop the smoke is like a big white cloud...and when I acerelated is bigger. also, is not overheating...I change the oil and still smoke...I drove the car around the block and when I check the oil was enty,,..there is no leake..thank you for you time and your reply to me..I appreciated...
Old 03-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

is your oil the regular color and consistency? Can you disconnect the downpipe and see how much oil is in the pipe? I would say something is up with the turbo. Even though oil gives you bluish smoke I'd still pop the downpipe off and see if there's oil there, because if there is you might want to rebuild the turbo (not really difficult)
Old 03-07-2007, 10:59 PM

Oil is clear and clean regular oil color...where is the downpipe? thanks
Old 03-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

do you know where your turbo is? The downpipe is the pipe that connects the turbo to your exhaust.

Quick Reply: help saab 9-5 smoking very badly