General Auto Related Help Area Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How to remove oil strainer 9-5, sump

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Des

Default How to remove oil strainer 9-5, sump

Hi.

Have just finished removing and cleaning sump and oil strainer on my 9-5 2ltr W reg.
Saab wanted £220 + parts. Strainer, Oil, O ring.
You will almost certinly need to do this job if your car has hit80,000 Miles.
Saab sugested this job and thereplacement of breather pipes on my Saab at 64,000 miles even though it has had full Saab servising.
This job isquite easy even for a novice, just a few hours under the car and a bit messy that’s all.
Drive car onto ramps for easy access.
First job is removal of exhaust heat shieldto spray the exhaust nuts (3 of)on the join betweenturbo and down pipe with WD40. The night before is best.
Drain oil and refit sump bolt.
Undo the 3 x 13mmnuts and support down pipe with wire or string. There is no need to remove oxygen sensor but make sure you don’t put the wires under any strain.
Remove plastic splashguard from under engine.5 self tapping bolts. No need to remove wheel to access bolt in wheel arch.
Prise off the 2 exhaust support rubbers under car.
Remover fly wheel cover on gear box plate 2 x 11mm bolts.
Remove the breather hose from rear of sump, just a push fit.
Remove sump bolts 18 x 13mm. You will need socket and spanner for this job. Some are a bit tricky to undo but all can be got at without removing any other parts.
A gentle prise and off comes the sump.
The sump is a tight fit but mine came off quite easily with a gentle prisefrom awooden drift at the gearbox end.
Now it’s off you need to remove the 4 star screws from the plate.
Now you can see what all the work has been for.
There are 2 star screws on the strainer to be removed and then wriggle the strainer out off the sump. Mine was a very tight fit and took a bit of wriggling to remove.

Clean sump and strainer of old oil and any carbon deposits.

Refit is the reverse but I cleanedsump matingsurfaces with paint thinners and applied a thin film of liquid gasket.
The sump is a very tight fit and with mine it needed a gentle tapping at the gear box end to fit back in place. You could also try jacking up the gear box a small amount to gain a small clearance. You only need to gain about 1mm.
Only nip up bolts at first all round and then tighten.

Check sump plug.
Fill with engine flush or cheap oil. Run until warm or as engine flush instructions.
Drain and then change oil filter.
Fill with new oil. Approximately 5 Ltr. Mobil 1 was recommended by my Saab dealer or a fully synthetic oil of the same grade. Approx £40

Tidy up wash hands job done £220 still in pocket

The job took me about2 hrs, not including set up time and tidying away.

45 Min's for removal
45 Min's replacement
30 Min's Cleaning sump and strainer
Old 07-26-2007, 09:06 PM

Default RE: How to remove oil strainer 9-5, sump

i was kinda been confused on how to do changing the oxygen sensor manually? my friend adviced me to have manuals on hand..but don't even know where can i get those..the removal of exhaust heat shield was kinda hard for me..don't have any experience before on removing oil strainer.also, i was planning to get oxygen sensor canada..does somebody familiar or tried it before?

Old 06-25-2008, 11:48 AM

Default RE: How to remove oil strainer 9-5, sump

I am wondering if this is possible even with an automatic gearbox. It looks pretty crowded down there. Any idea?