General Auto Related Help Area Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Local mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:36 AM

Default Local mechanics

Everyone knows the value of a good mechanic and the additional value of having a good rapport with said mechanic. Whether it's the first guy you turn to when you have a problem, someone from whom you can get a reliable second opinion on an estimate, or the little-known expert who gives good advice for you DIYers, it's good to know you've got that guy in your corner with your interests at heart as opposed to just scamming the quick buck.

So my question for everyone is this: Whom do you rely upon for your Saab work or do you have your own shop and work on others Saabs? What do you like about them? Do they specialize in areas or are they general purpose?

To start it off, I used to take my 2001 9-3 SE to a place in Prescott, AZ called European Auto Technicians. The main guy there is named Gary. They specialize in performance tuning of German cars but were well versed in Saab as well.

Hopefully, this can be a good general purpose thread everyone will find useful, especially if out of town and needing a shop. However, I do have the ulterior motive of wanting to find a good shop in the DC, northern VA area as well. Happy hunting!
Old 01-19-2009, 09:16 AM

Default RE: Local mechanics

i do all of my own work i have trust/safety issues with other mechanics touching my car
since i do rally racing ilike knowingevery thing is done the right way
Old 01-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

I have a guy in Philly I take my car to, but he's a good friend of my. I rarely have time to work on my car these days and having a trustworthy mech is a blessing. 7525 Frankford Ave in philly is the address. The place is called auto source and the mech's name is Vic. Good, honest guy. That's very rare these days.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:16 PM

I do all of my own work, but then again, I'm a shop foreman at a GM dealer and have a handfull of Saab Certifications.