General Auto Related Help Area Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Brake job causing Battery bleed?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 04:19 AM

Default New Brake job causing Battery bleed?

Alright, I went to a local franchised brake repair facility and got a brake job for my daughter's '93 900 Turbo.
All good, but when I left, the guy said, "your ABS light may be on for a while, but dont worry about it..."
Daughter drove it home and said, no light came on...
Later that evening, she calls me from the freeway telling me the car died and won't start. We just got a new alternator in March.
I went down and gave her a jump, it started, but died when I removed the cables... Battery!
Got a new battery next day, installed it, it fired up and drove it home... all good, that evening, same thing! She was driving around, and when she got to the driveway, it died. I got it started, drove it around the block and it died. I started it again, (after letting it rest for a bit), and when I stepped on the brake while sitting in park, it DIED.

After I charge the battery up, I'm heading back to my brake man, but any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2006, 08:25 PM

Default RE: New Brake job causing Battery bleed?

Sounds like a short. But if you only did a standard brake job I don't see how that could affect your battery. He may have stripped a little bit off a wire and it is grounding on the frame, but changing the pads and turning the rotors isn't going to affect your electrical system.
You may need to bring the car to an electrical diagnostic center and see if they can find a short.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:48 PM

How far was home with the new battery? I'd have your Alternator tested.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:52 PM

seems that your brake rotors has the problem...brake rotors are commonly found in the front wheels of the vehicles. i was planning for saab brake rotors replacements since mine got worn down... you better try see another mechanic, they might know the problem as well.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

brakes and the battery draining can not be related unless something has been shorted out. (e.g.abs sensor)