General Auto Related Help Area Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New owner questions. Please help!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:42 PM

Default New owner questions. Please help!

Hi all.

I just bought a Saab 9000 CSE - turbo 2.3. I have a few questions to begin with. I'm going to change the oil, filter and coolant for peace of mind.

1. What type of oil is recommended for the car? Will mineral be OK?

2. How much oil does it hold?

3. Mine is 'LOW' on the dipstick; how much oil is there between full and low on the dipstick?

4. How do you drain the cooling system? How do you check the coolant level? In my last car's I've just pulled off the bottom radiator hose yet on this car I can't see one. At the moment it looks like there is only water in the car.

5. The car has a shuddering under brakes, I haven't had the wheels off but I'm suspecting a warped disc as the shuddering slows down with car speed. Is this common?

Being my first Saab, is there anything in particular to watch out for?

What tyre pressures do you run? The owners manual didn't come with the car, hence the basic questions.

All help would be great. Thanks,

Rob.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: New owner questions. Please help!

ok imma try to help you out the best I can

1.mobil1 mobille1 mobile1 cant stress it enough

2.i have a 03' 93 and id say 5 quarts...which is decent amount for a 4 cylinder

3.im not sure prob 1-2 quarts

4.sometimes these things have to be done by a dealer or shop

5.warped disks arent common but comin from a used car you never know how the other person drove/treated it before you

6.tire pressure should be lableed on the side of your tires

7.only thing to really worry bout is oil sludge build up...you might not have to worry bout your car it may have already been cleaned i hear it happens at around 80k but as long as you are usin synthetic oil it wont build up near as bad as regular motor oil.but i have a 2nd generation 93 im not sure thats just how my model is...hope i helped u out a little bit
Old 02-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: New owner questions. Please help!

1. Any certified full synthetic! (just keep to one brand and weight and never go back to mineral)
4. there's a plug in the radiator and a plug in the block...or you can just take the hoses off and drain that way...just water is not good.
5. Sounds like warped brakes, when you get this taken care of also check for sticking calipers as those will cause warped brakes.