General Auto Related Help Area Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

starting problems

Old 02-21-2007, 02:06 PM

Default starting problems

Hi, I'm new to this site and am having a problem with my 2000 9'3 which is perplexing my mechanic as well. I noticed a "hitching" a few weeks ago and although it did not stall while driving it will stall out when at an idle. It will not start up again for about 30 minutes and then the same thing happens all over again. I had the ignition module replaced (recall) so it shouldn't be that but I am wondering if it is something to do with the fuel system (pump). Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks gary
Old 02-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: starting problems

milage? When it stalls try hitting the gas tank in the area of the fuel pump and if it starts right up it is your pump.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:13 PM

Roto, 75,000 miles and a new engine @ 50,000 as Saab had a problem with this motor (oil sludge buildup). I've wanted to kick it but hadn't thought of kicking it there!
Old 02-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

fuel pump is a PITA. you may want to think about cutting an access door so that you don't have to drop the tank every time it needs to be replaced)) These are great cars, but certain problems should be anticipated. Although sludging at 50K seems to be strange...what type of oil did you use? Did you get saab to pick up the tab on it?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:23 PM

Yep, Saab replaced the motor for free as it was a defect according to them and sludging was happening to numerous cars with this motor. Changed oil at Saab dealership at intervals prescribed and that's the reason they replaced the motor because i had done the necessary maintenance and it still failed.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:25 PM

Is it possible there is a problem with the electrical system rather than the fuel system?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

cool. I cleaned up the sludge in my right before it was going to clog up the whole screen. anyway back to your problem. did you check spark when it stalls? Take the DIC out and check for spark at every coil. Than check for fuel pressure. It most likely is the pump, but it isn't uncommon to have two deffective DIC's in a row.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:31 PM

Yeah, the screen was completely plugged on mine. Getting back to the prob, no I haven't checked the spark. Technician said the fuel pressure was good...can that be intermittent or would it stay low and not waver?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Which spark plugs are you using? Check the spark man. I'm willing to bet when it stalls there is none if there is fuel pressure. Do you have a red or a black cassette?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:41 PM

Not sure what you mean by red or black cassette Roto....just a layman when it comes to vehicles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: starting problems