General Auto Related Help Area Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

transmission clunks and grinding??

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 01:13 PM

Default transmission clunks and grinding??

The Standard transmission in my 95' 900s is making alot of noise. I was driving it and started hearing some grinding noise from the transmission. The noise was consistent with the rpm of the motor. I came to a stop, and out of curiousity, I put it in first and tried to go forward. With a bunch of jerky motions and the car "shuttering", it would procede forward until an ubrupt stop like the brakes were slammed. The car at this piont was totally locked up. I could put it in nuetral and the car could roll if pushed. But, whether in any gear or nuetral the motor would quit when the clutch was let out...even in nuetral!! With the clutch pedal pressed the motor would run fine although I would still hear the scratching-grinding noise as before. But when I let out the clutch it feels like it wants to go forward but stops like you were standing on the brakes. It sounds and feels serious. Has this happenend to anyone? what can be wrong? Thankyou.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:03 AM

Default RE: transmission clunks and grinding??

I had some problems with my 96' 900 with going into gear and stalling at start which ended up being a Clutch Cable.. Im no sure whats wrong with yours? I have a working transmission for sale.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:04 AM

Default RE: transmission clunks and grinding??

In a car, you need a clutch because the engine spins all the time, but the car wheels don't. In order for a car to stop without killing the engine, the wheels need to be disconnected from the engine somehow. Theclutch allows us to smoothly engage a spinning engine to a non-spinning transmission by controlling the slippage between them..perhaps you could bring that to a mechanic for diagn0stics..