New Member Area
New to Saab Forums.com? Stop in tell us about you.

2002 saab 9-3 2.3t HELP! misfire then dies, will restart after cooled down

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 11:41 PM

Default 2002 saab 9-3 2.3t HELP! misfire then dies, will restart after cooled down

hello, im new here, I am a mechanic/technician by trade, but this car has got me stumped, it is (was) my daily driver, I bought it about three years ago for a great price because it has quit running on the previous owner, at that time the problem was a bad fuel pump, I replaced it and all was good for a while then the crank position sensor went out, I bought a cheep one from euro parts (professional parts Sweden) and all was good for a while, then the direct ignition cassete went out and I bought another cheep one, and that lasted 1 day, and I has to put the old DIC back in and surprisingly it worked for quite a while longer...long saab story short.... it recently died on me while driving, first it started misfiring severally then died at highway speeds, I coasted to a stop and after a 15 minute cool down it would restart and make it about five miles before misfiring and dyeing again, I eventually got towed home, I assumed it was the old DIC going out for good, so this time I purchased a real Saab one, and the first drive it did it again, this time I was able to make it home in 5 mile increments all highway … and so I assumed it was the crank sensor and so I purchased a real Saab one, and today I was able to drive 40 miles away from home and on my way back it happed again it starts with gentle misfire and if you try and accelerate atoll it jerks violently and dies... I was able to coast into a gas station and let it cool off for 20 minutes and it made it almost all the way back home, I had to stop twice and let it "cool" off for 15 minutes then it would make it another little bit,and I made it home, so heres where Im at.. I need some help, I have a code scanner and I will post the codes tomarrow, but for now I would like to know if anyone has another component know to cause these sytoms

its a 2002 saab 9-5 2.3t 152,000 miles pan removed a year ago and not a spot of sludge, previous owner used mobile 1 synthetic religiously.. I do have a stage 1 ECU from this seller on ebay https://www.ebay.com/usr/saabtunerscott?ul_noapp=true
new fuel pump 3 years ago (profetional parts sweeden)
this week a new saab DIC and bosch crank sensor and new spark plugs..

any help would be greatly appreciated,