New Member Area
New to Saab Forums.com? Stop in tell us about you.

Is the 9-5 SportCombi for me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Is the 9-5 SportCombi for me?

Hi all. First, I really like this forum - people seem to be very knowledgeable and helpful. So, I thought I would start this dicussion and see where it leads...

I currently own a 94 Honda Prelude (manual tranny). The thing is great.We had our first baby (girl) 8 months ago and plan to have one more baby within the next few years. Right now, I can't even take the daughter out in the Prelude, so I definitely need to upgrade to something bigger. A minivan is the most logical option long-term, but I really want a stick-shift and something more fun to drive. That's what led me to the 9-5 SportCombi. Here are my requirements:

1) A manual tranny HIGHLY desired
2) Should be larger than a standard sedan (should accommodate 2 kids in car seats anda 45 lb dog) This limits my options to a minivan or wagon. No SUV's - see #3
3) I do not like SUV's. Compared to a minivan, they typically: offer less utility,are more expensive, guzzle more gas, and don't handle as well. I know that some of the newer car-based SUV's are decent, but I have a heavy bias against them that I don't care to overcome. Plus, they are rare to find in a stick-shift anyway.
4) I try to get at least 10 years out of my cars, which is why I love my Honda and my wife's Infiniti G35x sedan. Getting 10 years out of Honda/Toyota/Nissan seem like no big deal. (I bought my Prelude used in Dec 97, so I'm hitting the 10 year mark in a matter of months)
5) I will probably have to order a new car, since finding any larger-size car in a stick shift with a color I like is a complete pain in the rear.

Options on the table:
1) Saab 9-5 SportCombi: meets all the critera above
2) VW Passat wagon: meets all the criteria above, except every 2001+ VW owner I knowhas had tons of eletrical problems and their dealers and VW America couldn't even care less to try to help them. If they are going to treat their customers poorly, screw 'em.
3) Volvo V70: mid-range model (~210hp) does not come in a stick. Only the base model (~180hp) and the V70R (bases at $40K - too expensive) do.
4) Mercedes E/Audi A5/BMW 5 wagons way too expensive for my tastes
6) No Japanese wagon out there that meets my needs except the Mazda 6 wagon, but it's not too pretty and I think it is a little small
5) give up on the wagon and go with a minivan

My biggest concern is about dropping $35K on a new car and then having to deal with all the higher maintenance the 9-5 will require compared to a Honda. Plus, I can get a fully decked out minivan for that price. Also, will the wagon feel too small after the second kid comes? I will be pissed if I have to switch to a minivan after 2 years and lose $10K in depreciation.

I must say though, the 9-5 really seems to hit my sweet-spot. Reasonably priced, looks good, good enough performance, can order in a stick-shift, and decent utility.

My potential 9-5: 2008 9-5 SportCombi with Aero package and roof rails. MSRP ~38K, figure I can get it down to about $35K.

I would love to hear some opinions from people with families and how they have gotten along with their Saabs. Thanks,

--Par
Old 08-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Is the 9-5 SportCombi for me?

um, what exactly do you mean by high maintainance costs? I have to tell you that my 9-3, although a bit oler than what you'd get is REALLY cheap maintainance wise....and I know cheap, my previous two cars were civics. I have a 2 y.o. and even my 9-3 hatchback is a big enough car for two carseats if need be and the dog can go in the back...new wagons are nice tho....why don't you look into a bit older 9-5 wagon? Around 04....they used to depreciate quite fast and you may find one at a good price Just have to look.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:49 PM

Well, from the impression I've gotten from other posts, you simply can't expect to have maintenance costs as low as they are with a Honda. Synthetic oil changes, higher parts prices, etc. Maybe I have erroneously jumped to the conclusion that this cost difference is more significant than it actually is. Also, the new Saabs come with 3 year/36K mile free maintenance so that will cover any costs for that time. My 94 Prelude is SO CHEAP though I'm afraid I'm a bit spoiled. I probably average $700per year on maintenance (excludes tires and batteries). I do clock very low mileage because of a short commute (~8K miles/year) though.

I would be more than happy to buy a used 9-5 wagon, but finding one in a stick in a color I like (red or blue) is practically impossible.

You can fit a dog in the back of the 9-3? I didn't think there was enough room back there in those hatchbacks. I figure I can get a roof cargo carrier and pack up the whole family (including dog) for a road trip.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Well the parts costs ARE high if you go to conventional sources.(dealership, parts store). A friend of my was ordering valves for a 99 9-5 V-6. The deaer charged him $61/ea, while I was able to get those same valves, from the same manufacturer for $7/ea new.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:16 PM

We have a 2000 9-5 wagon, V6 SE. Feels like BMW 5 series driving, but nicer ride, and far superior in comfort. We can stow 4 humans, $300 in groceries, and a Weimaraner for fairly long rides. Prior to this, we were doing those trips in a '98 Isuzu Rodeo; but this car has more power, 30% better gas mileage, and serious Euro cool.
It's the right one for us, no doubt! [sm=exactly.gif]
Old 08-19-2007, 02:19 AM

9-5 wagon has never been considered the "best" wagon, and it isn't, but if you like it and it fits you, then go for it. My 2004 9-3 has high maintenance costs compared to my BMW X5. Remember that everything is free for 4 yrs under BMW warranty. You pay a grand total of $0 for service.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the feedback all. Glad to hear that someone with 2 kids doesn't find the car too small for trips and running errands.

As far as the maintenance, new Saabs now come with 3-year/36k mi scheduled maintenance included. So, I am assuming that it is basically the same coverage as BMW's maintenance, just a year shorter.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:15 PM

Yeah, the 9-5 is plenty big for a family and cargo.
BMW's warranty is slighly different in that everything is free, even wear and tear items like wiper blades, oil changes, lights, everything. I would check out a 325xiT ('06 model) or 328xi Sport Wagon ('07 model), it is more of a "fun" ride, and it is large enough for a family. It is a new vehicle, with a lot of cutting edge tech, compared to the ageing, but solid, 9-5.
Good luck!

Old 08-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

<---- will never be seen in a BMW, but that's just me... I wouldn't mind an S500 though....
Old 08-22-2007, 11:32 PM

I know, they aren't for everybody.
Do you mean S550? They discontinued the S500 a few years ago.

Quick Reply: Is the 9-5 SportCombi for me?