New Member Area
New to Saab Forums.com? Stop in tell us about you.

Electrical issues 10 fold

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 02:25 PM

Unhappy Electrical issues 10 fold

This is a virgin post, from a virgin SAAB owner, so please be gentle :0 )

My SAAB 9-3 Convertibubble was purchased solely because it was an extra in F9 Fast & Furious when filmed in Edinburgh. Even with 147,000 miles under its belt, it was quickly snapped up, and all thanx to that 'F&F Vin Diesel' street cred.

A reduced price of £800 & a new set of rubber boots later and I was good 2 go.
And then the fun started!!
So far I've spent North of £3,000, with other improvs on the cards.
But here lyeth the rub . . . It's ELECTRICS and a Failed MOT.

At present she's sulking outside, and below are the reasons why:
On the way to her MOT, the indicators started flashing double time (Earthing?)
Before turning into the garage the engine tried to cut out.
I left her and walked home.
Next day the garage called. They'd changed out the new sports discs and pads I'd provided, but given up the ghost on trying to track down the recently introduced earthing issue/s.

So for the symptoms:
Double speed indicating (Earthing issue)
Garage thought it might be loose wire in rear clusters. Removed and checked. No issues.

Car runs fine, until you switch on main beam. Engine stutters and quickly cuts out ??!?
This is the main issue.
Indicators work at normal speed when on hazard, but front normal whilst rear indicators dimmed.

Would love to get her back on the road sooner rather than later, but need something positive to give to the garage so they don't feel they're flogging a dead horse and wasting my money whilst unable to track down and cure the issue. All they need is a few pointers to help me get my film star soft top back on the road in time for our usual soaking wet Scottish summer :0 )

p.s. Noticed the front offside foglamp is smashed, but have no recollection of it happening. It may have happened when driving home all of 1 mile from the garage, although can't see it myself !!?!

Looking forward to all feedback :0 )

Many thanx in advance,
Chili D