New Member Area
New to Saab Forums.com? Stop in tell us about you.

Hey Y'all

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 03:46 PM

Default Hey Y'all

Just wanted to say hey,

I'm an old fart, just learning the cyber ropes and wanting to hang out with other mechanics.

You do know the difference between an auto mechanic and an auto technician ? If your 30yrs old or under your a tech., over 30 yrs old your a mechanic!

But mechanic or tech, we tend to think alike, and this looked like a good place to hang out and maybe learn some new slants on one of my favorite makes.
I got my first Saab cherry with a '60's 95 2 stroker 4 speed and freewheel, It was converted to oil injection when the original owner fried the engine and had a factory reman installed, before the conversion you added a quart of 30 weight in the 10 gallon tank and stood on the back bumper and jumped up and down to mix it! I think the first job I did on it was reline the rear brakes, you were given 4 linings and a packet of rivets, had to drill out the rivets on the old shoes and rivet the new linings on the shoes.

I finally went to Saab factory training while working for a dealer in the late 80's early 90's just about the time the 9000 came out.

Well don't want to bend y'alls ear to much .

nice to meet ya !
Old 03-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Good to have ya on board. Re-riveting linings? Damn...
Old 03-17-2009, 08:14 AM

i see it says you are from hoosierland would that be indiana by chance?
Old 03-17-2009, 08:23 AM

hoosierland would that be indiana?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:38 PM

boostpwd,

Back home in Indiana, you got it bud! But I'm in Hoosierland South Central, across the wide wide Ohio from Looavull, KY.

See your from Indy, lots of Saabs up there?

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Last edited by dagger dog; 03-18-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:52 PM

not really many saab enthusiasts, im the only one i know around here. i did see a guy in a nice older modded volvo. everyone in indy likes gm,or honda. my wife cant even understand the attraction i have to my saab. all she hears is 1989...185,000 miles

im originally from texas i will be moving back in a few years more like 1 1/2 i haven't been impressed with the midwest at all. its too cold . and nothing to do but watch corn grow, speeding tickets 10 miles over cost $550.00 in texas its only $80.

Last edited by boostpowered; 03-18-2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:01 PM

bstpwd,

Strange, as I'm a native son of the Golden West (CA) and was a Zonie (AZ) through grade school, our family moved back here in the late 50's early 60's.

Ain't enough open country around here to redline a engine in all 5 or 6 gears,and you can add an extra 100 bucks to one of those butt wipes for every 20 over too.

Didn't catch what your driving, is it one with the back assward engines (thats a real Saab) or is it transverse?

If I could afford another gas tank to feed, I'd go for a 1990 900 Turbo, 5 spd, drop top, red with black top, tan leather .

I'd keep it stock, some soft rubber for traction, tweek the boost control to give me all of the .75 bar boost it could with 103 octane. Take it down around those twisty county roads in the hills and hollows around Bloomington and let it rip. Nothin' better on a weekend. Ah hell just a dream
Old 03-20-2009, 09:46 AM

my car is the 1989 saab 9000 cd turbo its the real saab i get enough of gm every day at work. no way id drive one.
the highway patol and state cops love hanging out in bloomington. i just go to irp thursday night test and tunes and my scca events. my daily commute is from southport to mooresville and back. so im in the city most of the way but once im on the backroads to mooresville its all targa/gravel racing for about 9 miles