New Member Area
New to Saab Forums.com? Stop in tell us about you.

im new saying hi

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 04:33 PM

Default im new saying hi

hi names chris just bought my first saab. wanted to say hi to all, and ask what can be done to a 2004 9-3 linear?
Old 07-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: im new saying hi

Hello Chris. I velieve there are suspension and software upgrades available for your car. Look at genuine saab's site.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:56 PM

What are you wanting to do to it?

Pretty much anything with the engine is out other than tuning (BSR & Maptune are the ones tha come to mind) There are various stages to boost HP & performance generally starting at $1000 and going up. You can replace the stock exhaust & air filter but be careful of the high flow stuff like K&N that relies on oil to do the work of filtering out dirt. Too much and you'll screw with the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor and since these newer Saabs live and die by that sensor you don't want to screw it up. Too little and you'll be sucking in gobs of dirt/debris. Just be sure you know what you're doing when re-applying the oil.

No Blow Off Valves (BOV)have been implemented with any great success that I've heard of so if you're wanting the cool swoosh sound of the turbo it won't happen. I think there are some people trying a hybrid valve but from what I've heard it doesn't do diddly for performance and it doesn't entirely give yout the sound many seem to be after. Wastegates, same thing. If the MAF sees the air come in then the software prepares the fuel charge accordingly. If the BOV or wastegate partially dumps the charge of air then you get a rich condition and you'll be seeing alot of the CEL.

I think some people are also messing with the intake manifolds but I' haven't been following that too much so I don't know what they're up to or how well it's working.

Basically Trionic 8 rules the engine compartment. It monitors just about everything and if it sees something it doens't like it will throw a Check Engine Light (CEL). Some guys have had to drive home in Limp Home Mode (LHM) which from what I understand isn't fun. Kind of like Microsoft Windows going into safe mode. You lose a lot of functionality but it is done to protect the machine. I've not had the pleasure of it myself and hope I never do.

I think you can mess with the suspension all day long with out getting into too much trouble. A few people are lowering their cars for better handling and I think there is a 3 point sub-fram available to tighten things up as well.

Stereo, don't go there. It can be done but it's a hassle unless you love to mess with that stuff. That said I do plan to upgrade mine (13/300W) with better rear deck, dash, and front door speakers.

There are bunch of little things that can be done that don't affect performance. Some require TechII changes, others can be done yourself depending on how much you like to get your hands dirty.

Above all remember, your car is a rolling network. There are many computers that are all linked via MOSTNet.

There are a ton of little things that need to be taken care of. Check the TSB's and monitor other sites as well.

One thing to keep an eye on is the check valve for the Secondary Air injection (SAI) system. Apparently it's beginning to fail on quite a number of '03 (not sure if '04 and newer have it now that I think about it). If it fails it will allow condensation from the exhaust gas to settle in the SAI pump and it eventually corrodes or seizes. $400+ for parts alone from what I have read. $800-900 to have it taken care of if out of warranty. I'm getting ready to tear mine apart to see if it's bad (the valve, not the pump).

Another one is the fuel cap. If you get a CEL have it scanned. If it's the one that says something about the evaporative system leaking (large) check the fuel cap. I guess they have a history of them failing.

One other is to keep an eye on the door handles. They fade terribly. If you're still inwarranty get them replaced now if at all possible.

Good luck and post pictures of the car when you can. BTW, I'm a Saab newbie too. I've had an '03 Arc for about a month and I love it.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:08 PM

TEST
Old 07-09-2007, 08:24 AM

Welcome to the Saab Forum

Old 07-09-2007, 11:45 AM

TEST 2
Old 07-09-2007, 11:54 AM

ok just checked and all recalls have been done. what i would like to do to this car is,
1. put a factory wing on
2. aftermarket wheels and tires
3. cat back sport exhaust
4. add some speakers like 2 8" subs but still use the factory radio

i will post some pics of the car soon

vf171 my car looks just likethe car in your gallery