New Member Area
New to Saab Forums.com? Stop in tell us about you.

Looking for Saab advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Looking for Saab advice

I am new to this forum, and I joined because I wanted some advice on Saab.

One, let me tell you that I am not thrilled with GM right now....I currently drive a 2001 Olds Alero. I bought in 2 years ago, and I cannot wait to get rid of it! I have had such bad luck with it, and the extended warranty is about to expire soon. I also had a Buick prior to the Olds, and I also had bad luck too.The Olds lovesvisits to the dealership to have something fixed. I am lucky I bought an extended warranty or I would be out a lot of money right now. I am considering a move to Honda or Toyota, or Scion. Would love to own a BMW or Benz, but those can wait.

Anyway, I am ready to look for a new car and I am not putting GM on the list, but I may reconsider, considering the Saab 9-3. I found a few used ones (2004 & 2005 model year) in the area, and since I can't afford BMW or Audi, I really like the 9-3.

I am just looking for any good or bad news on this car. Is it worth it to buy this car? I am probably going to buy a used one. There is no way I can afford a brand-new one, and I can't lease since I drive over 15,000 miles in one year.

What about the 9-2x? I really like the front-end, very sporty looking, but never knew why they made it for 2 years. Was it a flop? I have also found 2 '05 9-2x's in the area around the price of $14,000 with about 25,000 miles on them both, which is awesome and would be below my budget.

Just would like to know what you like or dislike about your 9-3. Should I get rid of the Olds or hang on to it as long as I can? Sad thing is, I owe just as much as it is worth. I have no equity at all. The last dealer offered me $5000 for it and I owe about $5300. But, I dont want to be stuck with a huge repair bill and no warranty to cover it.

I guess I am looking for reasons why I should buy this car over Toyota or Honda. I would like to move up in my vehicle class that is comprable to BMW or Audi.

Thanks,

Zach
Old 09-17-2007, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Looking for Saab advice

a 9-2x is really not a saab, it's a subaru WRX with saab badging...just look for interior shots and you'll know what I mean. If you can afford a used 9-2x I'd go for that since I like scoobys:-D The 9-3 isn't a bad choice either. There are a few things to watch for, but they're easily detectable (sludge: just pull the oil pan as cheap insurance).
Old 10-24-2007, 07:44 PM

Default RE: Looking for Saab advice

yeah the 9-2X is not a Saab. It was just another attempt by GM to rake in some more cash from Saab which is not a high volume brand....and it shouldn't be. My family currently has four Saabs...two classic 900's and two new 9-3 sedans. I personally drive a 2007 60th anniversary 9-3 and I could not be happier. The other 2005 9-3 has 34K on it and hasn't had any problems.I would be careful about which 9-3 you buy. They will go forever if you baby them and dont rev the crap outta them....like any used sport sedan, be careful because the last owner might have used it for the sole purpose of joyrides. So deffinately give the 9-3 a try, but pick wisely....its a very rewarding car to drive!