New Member Area
New to Saab Forums.com? Stop in tell us about you.

New Owner: : 1996 Saab 900 SE 2.0 Turbo Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 07:04 PM

Default New Owner: : 1996 Saab 900 SE 2.0 Turbo Sedan

Hey fellow Saab enthusiasts,

My name is Juan, my wife and I moved to California a little over a year ago from Madison, WI fueled by a desire to never see snow again and prodded along by our former states assertion to my wife and her fellow teachers that they are glorified babysitters and should be treated and compensated as such. I found a job as a Transmission System Operator for a local utility out here and have been doing that for the last year and my wife has sense left the public education world behind and has been focusing on teaching Suzuki Violin to children in the Davis/Sacramento area.

Prior to moving to California I had sold my car and decided that I would only need a motorcycle (My wife still has her 2008 Saturn Vue). I started a blog With Only A Motorcycle to chronicle my adventures. As it turns out while being solo-moto is do-able for me it kind of took the fun out of riding the motorcycle. The winter in the Sacramento Valley was not bad I didn't mind riding in the cold and rain but the triple digit was really what I did not enjoy. So a few months ago I decided that I would be stay solo-moto until a year has passed (so I can say that I did it) and then I would get a car.

One thing for sure is that California is not a cheap place for auto (or motorcycle) insurance so I knew that I wanted to buy my car for cash so that I could save money by not having to insure the second car up to full coverage. I really couldn't find a car that I cared enough about or interested me all that much in the price ranges I was looking at. Eventually my wife suggested a Saab, to which my first response was, "they're out of business." But then I remembered the Top Gear Saab Tribute (Season 18 Episode 05) and started to think more and more about the possibility of getting a Saab. Eventually that was all I was looking for I really wanted a Pre-GM Saab 900 but couldn't really find one that would fit my criteria which got shifted a bit once my wife told me that we were going to be having our first baby!

Eventually I came across the Saab you saw in the picture at the outset of this post and it seemed to fit what I wanted:

Low Miles 137,000 with no long periods of disuse
A folder with a bunch of service receipts
Clean Carfax
Current Smog Registration
Four Doors
Hatch Back
5-Speed
Turbo
An interior that wasn't too beat up.

I found this car in Redwood City at a small local dealer and was able to purchase it with my debit card, that in and of itself is an interesting story but I'll leave that for another date. There of course are a number of TLC type issues and some upkeep that will need to be done but thus far I am happy with the purchase.

For now I just wanted to write a little intro and say hello. I'll do my best to use the search function before asking question and hope to be an active contributor to the site.

~Juan