New Member Area
New to Saab Forums.com? Stop in tell us about you.

Rover fella looking for a cheap Saab as DD

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:46 PM

Default Rover fella looking for a cheap Saab as DD

Ive been searching up and down all the usuals...craigslist, fleabay, enthusiast sites...

Ill be skimming and hopefully starting to contribute once I dive into my future project.

Like I said, Im a Land Rover usual so I've dealt with Euro mechanicals and electrics so Im not afraid of a project...please fill me in on any advice or if anybody knows of a good deal in my area Id like to pick up one of these by the end of the summer. Ill let everybody know how it goes and try to keep my foot out of my mouth.

Cheers,

Matt
Old 06-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Rover fella looking for a cheap Saab as DD

Where're you from? You can usually pick up a 1999 9-3 in the area of 2.5-3K with little to nothing to fix. I personally don't like 9-3s after 1999 since engine management changed on those and you can only self-tune the ones prior, but if you're not into that than you can find better deals.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:27 PM

Im in Raleigh, NC...so anywhere in SC, NC, or VA is an easy jaunt to find one. Im not huge into tuning but, I might get there someday so I might as well look at those years. I found a killer deal for a 99 9-5 2.3T with a head gasket leak and somebody bought it from underneath me....

Looking for something I can work on but drive at the same time....I like projects. I like driving what Ive worked on. Makes it easier to deal with breakdowns on the road.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Check out genuinesaab.com to see what the aftermarket is like for a particular model.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SE-HO...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...QQcmdZViewItem

These two are in need of some work, but to me it'd be just an opportunity to rebuild... they're not exacty your area, but they're not exactly unreasonable in price... that second one is an automatic though...
Old 06-04-2008, 05:59 PM

I looked at both of those and I think I've got some good ideas of what I think I want....
&nbsp\\;
There have been a lot of 1999 9-3s out for sale lately that Ive noticed....which is what I think I want.
&nbsp\\;
What I want:
4cyl
Turbo
Manual Trans
Leather
Sunroof
&nbsp\\;
These are my only requirements....I don't believe in paying any more than 600-800 for a car that needs a motor. Thats highway robbery because you never know what kind of ratsnest you might be getting into.&nbsp\\; I dont have the facilities to replace or rebuild a motor but talent/resources&nbsp\\;are limitless.&nbsp\\; A head gasket job, new pvc valve, new breaks, new hoses/plugs/wires....thats what I want. Thats what I can do with what I have no problems. Ill keep looking....I dont have the cash to buy anything outright right now anyways....
&nbsp\\;
Roto,
&nbsp\\;
Keep me updated, I appreciate those links!
&nbsp\\;
Cheers,
&nbsp\\;
Matt