New Member Area
New to Saab Forums.com? Stop in tell us about you.

Yet another newbee

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 09:51 AM

Default Yet another newbee

Hey folks,
Just dropping a note to introduce myself to your fine site.
Although I've never been much of a Saab guy, (my main ride is a '98 ram diesel, just a bit souped up with 5" stainless exhaust,a superchips comp & some intake tweaks; Nothing better then 680ft lbs of tourque hitting pavement!!) I think I made a good choice.
I've recently aquired a '95 900 SE convertable as a commuter. It has low miles (80k) & I picked it up cheap (I hope?) for about $3500.
Again, not being a Saab guy, (always equated "Saab"to "Yuppie car", what the hell do I know, I like to kill fish & eat them in my spare time!)
I wasn't exactly thrilled about getting one (the car was bought at an auction, I was hoping for a honda), figureing that I've heard the terms "Every Saab owner has a saab story".

I test drove the Honda in question (01 accord w 120k mi)......beh.....couldn't see driving this underpowered bucket of bolts every day, not to mention all of the added "feature noises" coming from the front end.
Then I drove the 900.
Engine idle is smooth, put it in gear (it's an auto) took it for a spin.
I thought "hey, this thing has some spunk". On the highway, I figured out what the "S" button does on the shifter.(Weeeee!!)
The front end was solid (this car has been well cared for, I'm guessing adult owned & garaged) all of the electronics work.
I've had the car for a week now, it's really starting to grow on me.
It does have a slight oil leak (I think it's the oil pan, new gaskets goin in tuesday) other then that it runs out great!
I'm already having to wrestle the woman for the keys in the morning (got them today! HAH! Said I was going to wax it!) & we are bothquickly slipping into becoming fans of this little car.

In closing, I'm hoping the folks here can point me in the right direction as too care for the car, possible improvements & suggestions would be more then welcome.
Thanks for letting me join!

[IMG]local://upfiles/840/F5B4487C975E4AF2B8848FC3567EEB72.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/840/1B3BC6CD87024CA4858D8EB990C0BA21.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-04-2007, 10:24 AM

Default RE: Yet another newbee

Welcome and good luck with your new ride. Your friend, Jay
Old 05-04-2007, 03:11 PM
S2H

Nice. I wanted a convertible but they don't hold 5.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:32 PM

Nice welcome aboard
Old 05-04-2007, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. What would you like to do with the car?As a used-to-be honda owner I can tell you that you made a good choice when you got that saab. It has a big aftermarket (not as big as honda though) and parts can be had actually at comparable to honda prices.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:50 AM

Thanks fellas. Roto,I'm glad to hear that from a former honda owner!
"What would you like to do with the car?"
Nothing to drastic, just help it breath a little easier. I can't go nuts with the exhaust because of my trade (computer consultant, wouldn't want to show up at a clients site making a racket) but anything that will help airflow.
Probably intake improvements, computer (if any),definately different rims as these are hell to keep clean (again, nothing fancy)maybe a little more. (I now plan on rebuilding the motor at around 150k milage, then I can get a little more nutty).
(Stealing the car from Liz today........in my best Borat "GREAT SUCCESS!!")

P.S. while trying to find the K&N intake yesterday locally (impossible), saw the damndest thing.
Some guy from around town is tooling around in a volvo with a small block chevy in it......think a Saab could handle that kind of weight in the nose??? Just thinking out loud.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Haha, we're in the same trade. Sometimes it makes it hard not to set off the blow-off valve pulling up to a clients site. There is a relativey quiet sport exhaust availale for your car as well as an intake and of course there are staged computers and suspension modifications available. I'm assuming your engine is a 2.0 turbo, than you need a crossflow intercooler. The most common choiceo f turbo upgrade is a mitsuTD04. I'll PM you with some info.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:34 AM

AHHH this is the problem! The car is a v6 (2.5L)
I can't find ANYTHING for this motor. (Save an air filter)
Old 05-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

ok, with that V6 you want to do some things ASAP. Get the timing belt and tensioneerdone, They love to break. And you're rigt, there isn't too much stuff available for the V6...
Old 05-07-2007, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the heads up!
How much can I expect to spend on the tensioner?