2005 Aero Convertible Hydraulic leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:15 PM

Typically, stripped holes can be fixed with Heli-coil thread inserts, but because this is a screw, and a shallow one at that, this isn't really a viable option.

About the only thing I can think of, is to remove the metal trim and use a small punch and hammer and "peen" the top of the hole to close it up some and gently install the screw (it won't have alot of holding power, but should be better than what you had), or you can shop hardware stores like Lowes and Home Depot and get a slightly larger screw. They typically have black trim screws like that.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:33 PM

Greetings,

I'm having the same problem with my 2004 9-3 Conv. I've traced the leaky fluid to the hydraulic line termination fittings that enter into the piston assembly. I've removed the two very tiny o-rings that the fittings seat into and they appear to be hard and somewhat brittle. Any idea on where to find replacement o-rings this size?

Also, there is mention previously in the thread about replacing the piston o-ring. How would one go about removing the piston from cylinder to do this?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 06-27-2010, 10:18 AM

I am having a problem similar to the one SRQLaser is experiencing. I took it to a dealer and was told I needed a new hydraulic cylinder, which would cost in the neighborhood of $800 installed. Being a new Saab owner, I am unfamiliar with the best way to get into the convertible roof to take a look at the leak myself. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:14 AM

I tackled this project on Friday. I figured it was worth a try since the dealer and local Saab guys told me the hydraulic ram was $540(excluding install) and on national back order.

The Ram leaks from the housing, opposite end from from the piston. After removing the ram I discovered that the housing end consists of a plug. You have to remove this plug and replace the o-ring on it. Mine was rotted away in several places, allowing the fluid to get by and leak.(after looking at the condition of the o-ring, I'm pretty sure any leak stop additive would not have helped)

The real problem is getting the plug out of the end of the cylinder. It is locked into place, and the only way I was able to get it out was to cut the retaining flange in four places and then pry the flange apart a bit. Then I was able to tap the plug out with a small screw driver. You have to tap the plug out by placing a small screw driver at an angle through the hole in the cylinder housing. You have to remover the the plastic bushings to do this.

I found the replacement o-rings, both for the plug and also for the the holes where the pressure lines enter the cylinder. I don't have the sizes handy, but I can get them for you if anyone decides to proceed with this project.

Once I got the thing put back together, I tapped the housing back over the plug to hold it in place. This did not hold, it blew out when I first put pressure to the system. I drilled a hole through the housing, near the very end and put a screw though it. This worked. The total project took a few hours and cost very little. The o-rings were only about .30 cents a piece. Top works perfectly now. Now knowing how to do this, I could probably do the whole thing in about two hours.

I found the hydraulic pump and tank also. It is not behind the rear seat in this model (2004). It's in the trunk, on the right hand side, under the trunk liner. It's kind of a pain to remove the liner, but once it's out, the tank is very easy to refill, you'll see when you get in there. I filled the tank with regular hydraulic fluid and and added a bit of leak stop just for the heck of it.

I hope this helps and I'd be happy to go into more detail if anyone needs.

Dave
Old 07-24-2010, 07:48 AM

SRQLaser - I would greatly appreciate the o-ring info you have. Yesterday morning, I discovered the same blue-green oil dripping from the the passenger-side roof by the visor in my 2004 9-3. Sounds like a repair project, so I would like to get all my info together before dismantling the roof. Thanks for the posts!
Old 07-26-2010, 03:30 PM

Default re:

well, I don't actually have the spec on the cylinder o-ring, I brought mine(the old one) into the oring place and we matched it up. However... I did buy extras, so I have one I can send you if you want.

I have no idea what level of automotive/jimmy rigging skills you have... so I will just warn you that this is no "easy" project. You will get frustrated. But, if you have some basic tools you'll be fine.

The orings are cheap, like .50 a piece.... so if you want, I can send one to you...

Dave
Old 03-26-2015, 07:14 PM

Glad Mr. Google guided me to this old thread! Lost one of the two pumps on top cover yesterday and got a fluid lead into to trunk. After reading this post I got inspired to try to do the same and by using my dremel tool a bit violently I managed to get the bottom "piston" out, and sure enough the o-ring was badly damaged.

Went to Napa, bough few o-rings for 5 bucks, installed, drilled a couple of holes to secure the piston with tiny metal screws, put back in the car and had my well deserved beer after realizing that the forum had saved me again few hundred bucks!

Nice to know that when the next pumps goes, I have a fix ready for it.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:57 PM
IB Staff