Saab 9-3
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 9-3 Sudden No Start - Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 12:49 PM

Unhappy 2006 9-3 Sudden No Start - Need Help

Hi all. I have a sudden no start issue and need some help.

Daughter's 2006 9-3 4dr 2.0L suddenly will not start. This car has always run great.
She drove it home running rough and turned it off and could not restart.
Have been looking at it and here's what I see:

Turn key on - fuel pump for 2 seconds (not loud)
Car turns over and sounds like it tries to fire over at intervals. crank, crank, crank, fire,
No messages - No OBDII codes.

1 month before car running roughly - I replaced the plugs with NGK PFR6T-10G - Improved back to normal
Fuel
Fuel Tank Shows 3/8 full.- Added 2 gallons of fresh gas. Added one bottle gas dryer

Charged battery, tested, found bad, replaced, 760CCA Advance Auto Die Hard, had this tested too. - OK

Cleaned terminals and clamps, checked ground wire to car under battery box. wire brushed and re-assembled. Added temp ground cable to check existing.

Checked fuse for Fuel pump with volt/ohm meter - OK - Cannot find fuel pump relay!

Tried cranking up in Neutral think Neutral Safety Switch. - No Go

Replaced the CPS with Saab part - (awful to do )
Getting good spark with removed plug and crank test.

I need advice on how to test fuel system and if anyone can tell me where fuel pump relay is I'd really appreciate!
What is next - I'm stumped.

Thank you for any thoughts. If I missed anything I will add.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:27 PM

Cool Update

After ruling out battery, replacing CPS, checking for spark, testing fuel pump pressure (45-48), I decided maybe one or more of the DICs had crapped out and had a look at the plugs after it had run for a while. One looked different, #2. Sure enough the ODB2 code was now showing P1312 indicating a problem n cylinder 1 and 2. I replaced with some old DICs and after using Jimmy's idea to enhance the compression with some squirts of oil in plug holes and eventually was able to get it to start. It smoked a lot for a while and then ran pretty smooth. I ordered 4 new DICs to replace.

The initial problem was either a flooded, no-start condition caused by misfiring DIC(s) or a failing CPS or both. The squirting oil in each plug hold to get compression back was crucial to restarting.
Hope this helps someone else.