Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum

Saab Forums - Saab Enthusiast Forum (https://saabforums.com/forum/)
-   Saab 9-3 (https://saabforums.com/forum/saab-9-3-11/)
-   -   2006 93 Aero caliper bracket bolts (https://saabforums.com/forum/saab-9-3-11/2006-93-aero-caliper-bracket-bolts-2492/)

bjs 12-11-2009 03:01 PM

2006 93 Aero caliper bracket bolts

In the process of replacing rear pads and rotors on 06 93-Aero and have been stopped dead unable to loosen the torx-nuts holding the caliper bracket. This bracket needs to be loose to allow for the old rotor to be removed. After applying WD40 and a few strategically placed hammer hits the bolts are standing fast.

A note I do not have access an air gun...

Any suggestions??

Roto 12-11-2009 04:26 PM

What length breaker bar are you using? You won't be able to take those off with a small ratchet if they were torqued by a shop with an air gun.

bjs 12-12-2009 10:50 AM

Tried a 14" 1/2 ratchet with no success.

Roto 12-12-2009 12:54 PM

Try something longer. 2' breaker bar is what I use when I can't get something off. Those guys with air guns have no regard for torque specs...

Saab Fahrer 12-14-2009 07:22 PM

It may be super torqued like Roto suggested, or it could just be corroded in there. If its corroded, you can go to sears or an auto parts store (a good one) and buy a MAP Gas kit (medium temperature torch) and heat the bolt up.

Roto 12-15-2009 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Saab Fahrer (Post 7313)
It may be super torqued like Roto suggested, or it could just be corroded in there. If its corroded, you can go to sears or an auto parts store (a good one) and buy a MAP Gas kit (medium temperature torch) and heat the bolt up.

Or that :) Though I wouldn't resort to torching that area until leverage has been tried. There's rubber/plastic parts that are there that will need to be replaced.

Saab Fahrer 12-15-2009 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Roto (Post 7315)
Or that :) Though I wouldn't resort to torching that area until leverage has been tried. There's rubber/plastic parts that are there that will need to be replaced.

Yes, most definitely a "last resort". B-)

bjs 01-30-2010 05:19 PM

Caliper braket bolts solution

After many attempts and alot of frustration I gave up and took the car to my SAAB dealer. It took them @ 45 minutes to break the bolts loose and that was with an air-gun. I still had to wrestle the bolts out but with far less effort then trying to break them free. After that the new rotors and pads went on in 15 minutes. A reminder that the caliper piston needs to twist and be pushed in so you will need a special tool not the old standby of a C-clamp.

Roto 01-30-2010 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by bjs (Post 7417)
After many attempts and alot of frustration I gave up and took the car to my SAAB dealer. It took them @ 45 minutes to break the bolts loose and that was with an air-gun. I still had to wrestle the bolts out but with far less effort then trying to break them free. After that the new rotors and pads went on in 15 minutes. A reminder that the caliper piston needs to twist and be pushed in so you will need a special tool not the old standby of a C-clamp.

I just use a big screwdriver... I refuse to buy special tools for anything other than headbolts.