Bizarre 9-3 2.0T starting issue!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 AM

Default Bizarre 9-3 2.0T starting issue!

Hello! I am new to the forum and happy to be here. I have spent a great deal of time searching through this forum looking for a solution to my problem before taking the step of posting and taking your time. Unfortunately, I have not run across any post regarding my exact symptoms so here it goes!

I recently detailed my '04 9-3 Aero 2.0T 6-speed which also included washing and detailing the engine compartment. I mention this as water may be the culprit. After the bath the car started right up no problem and was moved into the garage. A few days later, I went to start it and with the first attempt the engine cranked over easily but made no attempt to fire. After the first attempt, the car wont even try to turn over but it does interrupt the headlights and some dash electronics like usual. I even took the battery out of the car and ran it down to autozone for a quick test and they said the battery looked acceptable and was at about 80%. Just for the heck of it, and because the battery was getting old anyway, I bought a new battery but the issue remains. Each time I disconnect the battery or just let the car sit for and hour or two, the same thing happens, it cranks easily without firing on the first attempt then wont even try after that. When the car does crank over it is registering RMP's on the tac. Not sure what that indicates but I have been asked that before. I plugged my scanner in, and although just a cheap one, it gave me codes P0601, P0601 (pending) and code P0628. I have also tried unplugging and cleaning about every electrical plug I can locate as well as made sure the ground off the battery is clean and solid to the frame. Another strange symptom is that the steering wheel does not lock even when the key is removed. Also, the ignition seems a bit sticky and difficult to turn without wiggling the key sometimes. I tried both keys with the same results.

I have talked to numerous people and have a list of about a dozen possible causes but nobody seems real confident in their diagnosis and each potential fix is time consuming and costly, just hoping someone here can help me narrow this down and we can come up with my next move since I am 100+ miles from the nearest Saab repair guy!

Sorry for the long winded story but just want to cover all I know to this point. Reading through posts has lead me to consider possible problems with the battery, CPS, Oil pressure sensor, lift pump, ground wire, ECU, starter relay and on and on; can anyone help me narrow down the list?!?! I am very mechanical just need to narrow down the likely culprits a bit before I invest a bunch of time and money!

Thanks in advance for any and all information!
Old 12-19-2013, 05:48 PM

first see if it's getting spark by pulling a plug and grounding it on the block while someone cranks the starter. if it's sparking, you have a fuel problem. next, squirt some gas down the throttle body and see if it fires. if so, your fuel filter is clogged or your pump is bad.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:18 PM

Your post will be rather good.Thanks so much with this fantastic new web site. I'm very fired up to show it to anyone. It makes me so satisfied your vast understanding and wisdom have a new channel on the world.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the advice and it makes perfect sense. I think I have been over thinking the issue and need to do some basic trouble shooting!