Broken motor mounts ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 12:29 AM

Default Broken motor mounts ?

Well, I just got my first Saab (Yay! I know!) and I think I may have run into a broken/damaged motor mount.

It's a 1999 9-3 Convertible. I notice it mainly when shifting gears above 1st, and the takeoff is pretty jerky, regardless how smooth I try to be. I also noticed the engine jerks alot while starting off, as a friend accelerated slightly with the hood open.

Also, when cruising and slightly getting on/off the clutch, I can sort of feel some creaking coming from the engine, and slightly under me. Not sure if it is related to a motor mount. Everything else besides that is fine. Acceleration, braking, sound, is all spot on, except for the jerking while shifting gears.

What would you guys suggest me to do ? Any good, reliable, and cheap Saab parts retailers online that you guys would recommend me to ?

Thanks guys !
Old 03-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Broken motor mounts ?

I highly recommend getting upgraded motor mounts...well worth it.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:52 AM

Do you have a suggestion as to where to find them for the best price ?? I purchased the car today, and my wallet is a little flat.

Also, anything else that could cause this ? Transmission fluid, gearbox, ect...

Thanks again man !
Old 03-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

A clunking noise is almost always a motor mount...it's easy to check though...pop the hood, put the car in park if it's an auto or in 1st if it's manual. Than grab the rad support and push and pull the car...you should see the engine move around and if it moves substantially and makes clunking noises than you found a problem. GenuineSaab.com sell polyurethane mounts which are just around $120 each...there's three mounts you are concerned with, the transmission mount, the side engine mount and the rear engine mount. All of them have a 90% chance to be bad around 90-130K miles. Also, you car being a convertible, check out they 6-point subframe brace...I hear it does wonders to convertibles
Old 03-20-2008, 04:49 PM

Thanks so much man !

I'm gonna go ahead and change out all my motor mounts. It's about time they were replaced.

As seeing this was a Grandma/Grandpa car, I'm also doing a full tune-up. Hopefully that will further smooth things out.

Thanks again for all you help ! I'll let you guys know hot it goes, and post up some pics when I'm done.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure you use factory spec NGK plugs and nothing else....these are very sensitive. And in case you dont know yet, eeuroparts.com is a good source for OE parts.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:02 PM

Oh really ?

I was about to get some NGK Iridium IX's for it. Wouldn't those serve me better ?

And thanks for the link !
Old 03-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Don't bother, all they'll do is burn out faster. These cars rely on the spark plugs for knock detection...and that works best with originals.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:29 AM

Wow, good to know man!

Saving me money already! hehe.

I was also thinking of purchasing a BOV in the near future. I wasn't going to change the recirculating valve though. Do you think that's a good idea ?
Old 03-21-2008, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

I will tell you htis much....a "whoosh" sound is not worth the $100 that could have been spent on other things... I have it and I seriously don't think it's all that worth it...

Quick Reply: Broken motor mounts ?