Engine Light on, code P1110. Any help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:22 PM

Question Engine Light on, code P1110. Any help?

Heya, maybe I can find some help here...

My engine light came on the other day and I went to two different autoparts stores to get my code read. The code is P1110 and it says "Manufacturer Fuel Air Metering." However when they went to look it up on their computers, no diagnostics for Saab were found. Also, several people at the two stores didn't know anything.

Does anyone here know anything that can help me?

The car is a 2001 Saab 9-3 SE

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:35 AM

Default P1110

This code indicates an issue with one of the following: the Boost Control Valve (BCV) located on the firewall, the Boost Pressure Valve (BPV - aka hooter valve) or the vacuum lines going into the above. Most often it is the BPV as over time the diaphragm inside deteriorates. Replacement is easy. Part costs around $60 US from eeuropeparts.com.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:59 PM

Thank you very much! That was all the internet research was saying, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

Is there a clear way to see which valve needs to be replaced?
Old 07-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

First and foremost inspect the vacuum hoses. May be go as far as replacing them.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:49 AM

The hoses seem to be all intact. I asked a friend if he can tell which valve is shot but he couldn't, he said it was pretty much a 50/50 chance of getting it right. Does one valve break more often than another?
Old 07-20-2009, 09:02 AM

You can test the BPV. Get a short length of clean vacuum hose. Remove the vacuum hose into the BPV. Connect your clean hose and blow through it and suck on it. You should NOT be able to to either. In other words when you blow on it no air should pass and when you suck on it no air should pass. If air passes in either direction, you need a new BPV. My SAAB indie says that the BCV (boost control valve) on the firewall rarely goes bad.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:54 PM

There are 3 hoses connecting to the BPV. When i suck/blow into the bottom one air passes through. So I replaced it, reset the car, and the engine light is still on.

Time to replace the BCV?
Old 07-29-2009, 02:17 PM

bump

After doing more research, I find that it is also making the "butterfly" sound after you release the gas... Idk if that's significant and I couldn't understand what they were talking about to fix it. I just want the engine light off.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:09 PM

P1110 according to my info Manufacturer Controlled Fuel Air Metering. Apparently from what i gather it measures turbo air pressure when its spooled up and it warns when air gets above set psi. there is a dump valve somewhere which is suppose to bleed that off. hope this helps the dump valve is 25$ . The sensor that gives the light 200
Old 02-21-2012, 08:55 AM

Coming from a family of Saab owners, I can say that we've grown immune to the lights on the dashboard...like whack-a-mole, every time you get one fixed, another one seems to pop up! :-)

Quick Reply: Engine Light on, code P1110. Any help?