first batch of ?s

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:39 AM

Default first batch of ?s

hey everyone , i have been lurking for a while i will be taking my new (but older) 03 saab 9-3 turbo into the shop for its 90000 mile check up.

One problem that i am having is that the fuel gauge in the console will not work it constantly reads empty even if i have a full take the DTE also is not functioning as it reads three horizontal dashed lines when i switch to that mode. Befor i take it in what do you all think could be the problem? is it as simple as a fuse or do u think its going to be bigger and that they are going to kill me with labor charges and have to get in the tank?

my next question on average how much do you all spend on tires the tires i have on it now are pretty bad (in the front) they are 225/45 zr 17 91. I am looking at all season tires as i wont have the money for a new set of rims until mid summer. i found sone for around 69 dollars a piece.

last but not least can the brakes be changed yourself or do you need the dealer to do them and how much are rotors and pads...thanks everyone im really enjoying the car
Old 01-21-2009, 05:01 PM

Default RE: first batch of ?s

Unfortunately, I only have partial advice on your last question as I am currently changing the brakes on my 2004 9-3 linear. I am sure you can appreciate any advice that anyone is willing to give; i'll do my best.

I am not changing the rotors on my car. I am only changing the pads. As of now I already purchased the pads and spent 70$ dollars on them. I bought them at Kragen auto parts. The only thing that i am having problems with as of now and the only thing that is stalling my progress on my brake change, is finding the correct tools (torx bits) to loosen the brakes and take everything apart. I looked for a good four days around town where i could find the bit that i needed and couldn't find it. My Dad ended up ordering a torx set online (100$). He is helping me with everything. That's the only advice i can give you. Hope this helps.

-Saab_Son

Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

My torx set was $27 at Advance Auto Parts. The brakes are easy just like any other car. Your fuel gauge problem is most likely a broken sender in the tank. That will kill you with labor charges for taking the tank off unless you are comfortable enough doing it yourself (or will cut an access door under the back seat which many people have done). The tires...well I spend on average $500 for a set of summer tires, I currently run 225-50-r16 Potenza RE01R's, but for all seasons I would go for faulken ziex. They do last a bit less, but you'll sppreciate them in rain or snow.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:39 PM

WOW 27$??? I think we got ripped! Might of been the frustration that got the best of us to just go out and buy the first torx set w/o shopping around for the best price. Oh well...you live and learn.

-Saab_Son