Front tires have weird wear pattern

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:46 PM

Question Front tires have weird wear pattern

Hello, my '05 Saab 9-3 Arc 70,000 miles has some very strange tire wear in the front tires only that I just recently have noticed. They are cupped evenly in the middle. So the outsides of the tire are fine, but the middle cups in (concave). The tread is extremely low and I just recently noticed this. They were fine the last time I checked about 6 months ago or so. I've done some research and everything keeps saying my struts might need replacing, but it's not the same wear pattern as bad struts. Bad struts usually have uneven shaving or cupping on the outside of the tire. Bad struts also come with: bouncy or loose suspension, bad handling, bottoming out, diving, bad cornering, etc etc. My car shows none of these signs, but everything I keep reading states that bad struts cause cupping usually. The tire pressure is fine. Another thing is that 2 weeks ago I hit a huge pot hole and took the car in because it has a slight wobble in the steering wheel and front right wheel now. They told me that there is a small dent in the rim, and that they won't align the wheels because the tires are so worn. How do I really know if the struts need replacing or if the recent balance or alignment problem caused by the pothole hit is the problem? They said nothing was damaged that they could see. I just don't trust most car places as they usually want to replace anything that isn't brand new. Any ideas? Could the excessive wear be caused by the struts even though my cars suspension seems fine? Or is it a case of needing new tires, alignment, balance, and staying on top of tire rotation? I've yet to rotate the tires since I bought it. Didn't know I had to rotate them so often (after doing some research, I've found out every 4,000-10,000 miles is necessary). Thanks